• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

N. Nigriventris Pix

12bNigriventris100707.jpg

12cNigriventris100707.jpg

12aNigriventris100707.jpg

Charlutz

Members
WOW. I never noticed the yellow and blue in the dorsal of those guys. How big are they now? Look like they've grown quite a bit since you've had them.

The flash brings subtle colors out in them Charlie. I never knew there was that much yellow and blue either. Pleasant surprise. :happy0021:

I'm guessing around 3+ inches now.

Charlutz

Members
They grew fast. I especially like the first shot where you caught the one fish in mid turn. Makes the picture almost seem like it's moving.

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
Very nice pictures of very nice fish!
Thanks,
Daniel

Thanks guys. I prefer the "action" type shots myself. Not as boring as the same ol' portraits.

Here are a couple more I captured last night of what I think may be the female. Sarah and Daniel think so too...right?

The colors really came out in these shots. :cool0027:

13aNigriventris101307.jpg

13cNigriventris101307.jpg

D

daniel4832

Bobby
I can't always tell by the pictures, I'm more of watching their behavior together. There are some reliable visual clues such as size, with the male being larger, forehead ieswith the male developing a hump while the female stays smooth being two that work well with Lamps. Another good visual clue with this species is that the male will turn darker, almost black mainly when getting ready to breed but I have had males that have stayed dark most of the time, mainly older males. I hope this has helped you.
From the pictures of your two together, I would say they were a pair.
Thanks,
Daniel

longstocking

Members
Now that mine are getting up in age :D .... they both stay pretty dark all the time. The male stays black 99% of the time. The female darkens when she has fry/eggs etc.

Just watch for the male to turn jet black and you'll know when they have spawned. The second group of shots is a female.

Do you still have them in a 20 gallon? If so... if they are still getting along in the 20 gallon.... I can pretty much guarantee you that it's a pair. As the fish would probably kill each other pretty fast in a 20 gallon if that wasn't the case.

I'm pretty sure we have a pair too. The bigger fish has been digging a nest in the sand in one of the caves lately.

I am having a hard time getting a photo of the third, smallest fish. It stays in the corner by the flow tube and has always been a darker color. Not black, but dark brown. Almost looks like a different species. :confused0007:

longstocking

Members
lol.... yes when they are stressed or breeding they look different. You saw my male in breeding dress one time you were here. He was black ( or if you may dark brown...the color gets darker when they get older) .... they look like an entirely different fish in my tanks than the pictures you have taken. WHen they get older and start breeding they will have that coloration 99% of the time ( the males ) .. the females will remain half and half just darken a tad.