• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Work Horses... Rena XP3

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
389763_3640116410451_1500511276_3175546_1392258674_n.jpg

londonloco

Members
I have several of them also, (xP1x3, xP2x1, xP3x2 and xP4x1), and like them a lot. Easy to clean and rarely a problem restarting, even when I clean them out. The individual baskets make cleaning very easy.

I recently bought my first eheim (2211), cleaning it is a pita due to no baskets. Also, starting it back up after cleaning the canister takes some effort. If I could get a nano xP I'd trade the eheim out for it, but they don't make one :(

mscichlid

Founder
Those filters look interesting. I like big canister filters, but I hate the macro padding because you have to change it often.

What do you use inside your canisters?

rsretep

Members
I have an XP3, i use a fine pad and two corse pads, plastic scrubby pads (like the ones for cleaning dishes) and in the third basket I use bio balls, I also enjoy the ease of cleaning the rena filter, really just need to rinse everything off and start up has never been an issue for me

londonloco

Members
I use the media that came with it at the time: ceramic rings, filter pads and Bio-Chem Stars. It also came with "Bio-Chem Zorb" which I think is basically carbon, which I don't use unless needed (medicine removal). I also find with the larger xP's I have room to add additional media, which is usually just more of the same. Over the years they have changed what it comes with, I guess to promote their new products.

Rasta Fish

Members
I may just have to try them out, i have Eheim filters they are pretty god but i have to agree they are a "PITA" to clean and start up sometimes.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have to xp3s on my 150 (along w/ AC 110). Love them. Hands down, the best canisters i've owned.

londonloco

Members
Have you guys attached spray bars to these? How's the flow?

Arlene

Yup, use the spray bars on all the tanks. Flow is great, I point it up a little to create a slight surface turbulence, even in my co2 tank, helps with surface film. I clean out my canisters once every 2 months, sometimes sooner when I notice the flow decrease.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Those filters look interesting. I like big canister filters, but I hate the macro padding because you have to change it often.

What do you use inside your canisters?

bottom basket : 2 fine pad and 2 corse pads
top 2 baskets : eheim substrat pro

i havent change my pad for years... this is how i clean my pads

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?101826

one thing about pads.. you should never twist or ball it up... just blast it...

chris_todd

Members
I have several of them also, (xP1x3, xP2x1, xP3x2 and xP4x1), and like them a lot. Easy to clean and rarely a problem restarting, even when I clean them out. The individual baskets make cleaning very easy.

I recently bought my first eheim (2211), cleaning it is a pita due to no baskets. Also, starting it back up after cleaning the canister takes some effort. If I could get a nano xP I'd trade the eheim out for it, but they don't make one :(

You know, I run Rena XPs (1, 2, and 3) and Eheim 2217s, and while I know everyone swears by Eheim, I like the Rena better. They have better flow rates, are easier to clean, are cheaper, and seem to be reliable. I've had an XP1 on a 20g tank since I started in this hobby several years ago, and never had an issue. (Of course I probably just jinxed myself)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

longstocking

Members
Why not sumps?
I was thinking the same :lol:

Usually cheaper.... work better, more oxygen... Get a good pump ( I have little giant and mags... I like both ) ... Easy Easy to clean...

Li... much easier for large tanks.... just a hint for your next tank ;)

londonloco

Members
I run an xP3 and an AC110 along with a sump on my 125g. In my tanks, the xP3 catch the **** floating around in the tank which for whatever reason my sump doesn't. Was extremely happy I run that extra filtration a few weeks ago, had a leak spring up, I didn't have to plug the leak at 11pm when I found it.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking the same :lol:

Usually cheaper.... work better, more oxygen... Get a good pump ( I have little giant and mags... I like both ) ... Easy Easy to clean...

Li... much easier for large tanks.... just a hint for your next tank ;)

Sump are great but I run a dripping system so when power outage ... It sux..

Also I like it to be quiet... The sound from wetdry annoys me...

All my tank are close loop or with sponge filters

Example for my 600 gallon I just do a 1.5 minutes backwash and change micron filter which takes less then 5 mins once a month.. Plus 24/7 dripping almost matinance free...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app