• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My "new world" tank right now. BIG pics.

Jeff721

Members
So this is a 40b, but within the year these fish will move to a 90. With any hope, within the next 2 years into a 125 or bigger. If not, I will probably have to give up one of the species that is in there. Fun for now though.

From the front:
FTS.jpg

From the side (where the couch is):
Nov2012_017.jpg

Inhabitants:
Nov2012_013.jpg

Nov2012_016.jpg

Nov2012_014.jpg

Nov2012_025.jpg

Nov2012_024.jpg

Nov2012_019.jpg

Jeff721

Members
Everyone is still under 4".

2x Jack Dempeys - pretty shy
2x Green Terrors - from CCA, not really shy, but not showy either
2x Salvini's - from HOT, quickly becoming a favorite and quite new to the tank
4x Giant Danios - i would like to pick up a few more of these

None of them have tried to re-arrange the tank decor yet, but I don't intend to have crypts or any delicate plants in the next tank.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looking good, Jeff. That will definitely make for an exciting tank.

Jeff721

Members
Looking good, Jeff. That will definitely make for an exciting tank.

Thanks Tony, so far no bickering. I don't know if I have any pairs yet. On one hand I hope so, on another, I hope to "keep the peace".

Every once in a while one of the GTs will take a shot at the danios, but by the time he/she gets there, the danios are scattered and the green terror is left dumbfounded.

Hawkman2000

Members
Gunna be a while till they start getting to aggressive towards each other, but keep the vid-cam ready for the impending chaos.

Looks great though. Wonderful pics.

blkmjk

Members
Looks like a pair of Sals for sure. Congrats. Now when the pair reaches anything over 3" you'll come home and find everything hiding in a high corner of the tank. You'll either have to separate them or move the others. IME they are ruthless when breeding. Other than that they rock. I don't like the preordained notions that fish are evil if from a aggressive species......but these guys are almost killed the mos evil fish I have ever owned when they bred. Besides that GT's are big whimps. And yours are beautiful I would hate to see them battered.

Awesome tank thanks for sharing!

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
By "awhile" do you mean a couple of months?

Salvini will start spawning at 2.5" or so...and all bets will be off for any of the other fish in there (and probably the female salvini).

Matt

Gunna be a while till they start getting to aggressive towards each other, but keep the vid-cam ready for the impending chaos.

Looks great though. Wonderful pics.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sounds just like my childhood

I could give you some water sprite and slate if you want - it'll look good and you may be able to create enough sight breaks and hiding places to mitigate some of the hostility although a 40B just doesn't have all that much space for sharing with an aggressive pair of spawning cichlids no matter who they are. If Matt and JC tell you that carnage is coming you best take heed...

I have to second Matt's comment. The Salvini's appear to almost be breeding size and they can cower full grown fish when breeding so you will need to be careful. Might want to start looking for the location for your 90 pretty soon and just leave the 40 to the Salvinis and shift everyone else to the 90.

Jeff721

Members
It's some sort of pool filter sand. I've got a couple more bags in my garage, I can look at the label and let you know. I was hoping for something with a finer grain, but it is pretty cool. It's about a third the size of regular gravel, maybe a quarter.

If you're interested I could probably spare a bag or two, I can get more later. It runs about $7 a bag, but I love a good barter ;)

Jeff721

Members
I took a look at the sand, can't see an obvious brand. It just says Pool Filter Sand on the bag and has a graphic of a woman diving into water at a 45 degree angle.

If you ever go to House of Tropicals, there is a pool supply store in the same shopping center, that's where I got it, it was on a palette in the front of the store.

I will take a pic of the bag when I get a chance, it is waaaay tucked away in my garage behind a motorcycle and a 90 gallon tank and stand.