• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My new pet

Greengirl

Members
Hi everyone, look at the new addition to my family. He is a pastel and spider gene python named Bugo. He is sweet and adorable and very friendly. I post pictures of his habitat soon but right now he is being kept in a big long tupperware with a bowl of water, some mulch-like bedding and a little cave he likes to curl into. I got to say, it's nice having a pet I can actually hold and play with.

photo.jpg

New Image.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Gorgeous snake, Alex.

You pick him up at the Reptile Expo over the weekend? I know Andrew Swartz went up there.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've kept a few snakes over the years (a red tailed boa, a sand boa, and a reticulated python). They are neat to own, but i didn't find them to be nearly as interactive as I wanted them to be. The ones I kept were pretty docile as long as your finger didn't smell like a mouse.

Tony

I've kept a few snakes over the years (a red tailed boa, a sand boa, and a reticulated python). They are neat to own, but i didn't find them to be nearly as interactive as I wanted them to be. The ones I kept were pretty docile as long as your finger didn't smell like a mouse.

Your reticulated python wasn't terrible? Heard that they were meaner than snot?

I had a red tail boa as well... Loudog. He was awesome.

Only other constrictor I kept was an African rock python. Not sure if it is the breed or the animal, but he *loved* to bite.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The retic wasn't too bad, although he was the one that bit me. He was chill enough that I used to take him with me on trips from Catholic University to College Park back when I was in school. I would just wrap him around my arm and jump in the truck. Seemed like a good idea when I was actively destroying brain cells with excessive alcohol consumption...

Greengirl

Members
Mine came from my friend Greg, he works at Congressional aquarium and he breeds pythons. He has 7 of them. This guy is just an extra male that he doesn't need for breeding purposes. I held him around the store and fell in love. He is inquisitve and gentle an tends to enjoy sliding through my hands. He will slide through, turn around and slide through again.

Tony

Mine came from my friend Greg, he works at Congressional aquarium and he breeds pythons. He has 7 of them. This guy is just an extra male that he doesn't need for breeding purposes. I held him around the store and fell in love. He is inquisitve and gentle an tends to enjoy sliding through my hands. He will slide through, turn around and slide through again.

Uh huh. :blush:

Greengirl

Members
NO NO, no breeding for him. He was given to me because he wasn't needed for breeding, there was supposedly a more beautiful male. I don't know, Bugo looks pretty beautiful to me, but what do I know about snake beauty. He is just under a year old. And he would love to take your guinea pig out to dinner :)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
That's a nice bumblebee (spider x pastel) you have there. I have a female bumblebee (and a few other ball pythons) and she is one of my favorites. When you get a chance, put your friend Greg in contact with me.

Jeff721

Members
Congrats, I went down that road in my teens and early twenties, had about 7-9 different species total. Ball pythons are a good place to start, and surprisingly great for "advanced" hobbyists as well. I hope for his sake and yours you are feeding frozen/thawed instead of live.

Tony, rock pythons are just bitey snakes. Retics are smart and reactive; highly variable personalities more so than any other species I can think of. They respond to visual and environmental stimuli big time whereas a Burm is only going to act different around food.

Greengirl

Members
Congrats, I went down that road in my teens and early twenties, had about 7-9 different species total. Ball pythons are a good place to start, and surprisingly great for "advanced" hobbyists as well. I hope for his sake and yours you are feeding frozen/thawed instead of live.

Tony, rock pythons are just bitey snakes. Retics are smart and reactive; highly variable personalities more so than any other species I can think of. They respond to visual and environmental stimuli big time whereas a Burm is only going to act different around food.

Why should I feed frozen? You need to tell me ASAP because today is feeding day and in the past he was fed one live mouse a week.