• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

my new favorite "non-glue" adhesive

chriscoli

Administrator
I recently got some of this stuff to try. It's aquarium safe and works on a lot of different types of material. It's basically a mini-version of the resin that's used by dentists and it hardened in seconds by using a tiny UV LED that comes with the kit.

I'm loving using it for bonding together small parts like strip LEDs and coating any electrical parts.

I was hoping to use it to attach plants like anubias or bolbitis to driftwood or coconut huts. So far, I've found that it won't stick well to wet wood, but I haven't' tried it on dry wood surfaces yet.

http://notaglue.com/

Leffler817

CCA Members
It's a Canadian company, not a bad thing at all, but where did you find it? I see they have an office in my hometown and do online sales. I've used Loctite gel but this seems to be less expensive if the cap doesn't dry out on you. Definitely let us know how it works for you.

chriscoli

Administrator
it was on Kickstarter not that long ago. But you can also order it on Amazon.

The cap shouldn't dry out, the resin can't stick unless it's been exposed to UV.

wsantia1

CCA Members
Very interesting product. I was looking for something like this for some repairs I have to make. Thanks for posting it.

Rasta Fish

Members
Saw that adverse on TV I was wondering if it does work for aquarium stuff good to know
I am sure now we can all repair that aquaclear filter sitting in our fish room :)

I would like to use it to glue my heater holder onto the glass. The suction cups have short life. Can it be applied under water or must it be in dry condition.

chriscoli

Administrator
I *think* I recall something on their page about it being able to be applied underwater, but I haven't tried it.

chriscoli

Administrator
From their FAQ page:

Can I use Bondic® on damp surfaces or under water?
Yes, as long as the surface is just wet and not greasy you can achieve a full setting and an adhesion depending on the surface structure. E.g. you can attach objects on the inner side of a water filled jar or even an aquarium.

chriscoli

Administrator
So I just tried attaching some bolbitis to a dry coconut hut and a dry piece if mopani wood. Both worked well and stuck easily?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Is there an advantage to using this over superglue? I've often used superglue to attach plants to wood or other aquarium materials.

I will not need to glue underwater as I can draw down the water and glue onto incompletely dry surface. The key is that the glue has to cure quickly, not like silicone you have to wait 72 hours. I am tired of replacing my heater suction cups every few months.

chriscoli

Administrator
Is there an advantage to using this over superglue? I've often used superglue to attach plants to wood or other aquarium materials.

for me, there's a huge advantage. I've learned that I really shouldn't use superglue for anything....I ALWAYS end up gluing myself to something.

I don't do that with this stuff.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Oh

for me, there's a huge advantage. I've learned that I really shouldn't use superglue for anything....I ALWAYS end up gluing myself to something.

I don't do that with this stuff.
I was wondering why you were carrying that coconut cave around at the last meeting.

JLW

CCA Members
I always just staple plants to wood and coconuts with a hardware stapler (i.e., not a desk stapler). The staples rust and deteriorate in about 6-months or so, but by then, the plant has attached.

Plus, iron ferts. :)

JLW

CCA Members
ralph-wiggum-glued-head-to-shoulders.gif