My New African Cichlid tank

johnscottant

Members
55 gallon tank.... I used to keep saltwater and thought this may be easier while still having some beautiful fish. All the cichlids are 5-6 inches long. Got them from a guy who was trying to get rid of them on Craigslist. Working on identifying them now. Thanks all for the response on my tank

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Great to hear you're getting into Malawi. Great fish. An all-male tank is certainly one of - if not the most beautiful of freshwater setups one can put together.

Of the pics you posted, looks like you have the following fish:

-Scianochromis fryeri (blue ahli)
-Aulonocara stuartgranti/hansbaneschi (Red shoulder peacock)
-Aulonocara jacobfreibergi - Undu Reef (Lemon Jake peacock)
-Auloncara sp. OB (OB peacock)

Great looking fish. Someone took good care of them to grow them to that size and shape.

I'd probably add at least 3-4 more fish to keep aggression spread out. Stay away from random Petco purchases as the wrong fish can really easily screw up a good thing.

Spine

Members
Good snag on the CL buy, they look nice and healthy. Come to the September meeting and pick up something to add to your tank.

johnscottant

Members
Thanks guys for all the kind words. For my main tanks (my 75 gallon South American Cichlid tank and my 55 african Cichlid tank) I have used auctions here with my ACLC group or That Fish Place to stock my tanks. I picked up some nice south american cichlids in Washington DC at the ACA convention. But I have been thinking of coming to this groups meetings since it is cichlid based only, and thats all I collect. So I look forward to seeing you guys there. Thanks!

johnscottant

Members
I have to give a shout out to Jay and Cichlidsarespecial too. I have purchased quite a few great fish from him as well.