• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My first saltwater tank

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Looks great man! Glad to see the tank going to good use. Looking forward to pictures once the cycling process is complete and you get some livestock going.

TheWire

Members
Looks great man! Glad to see the tank going to good use. Looking forward to pictures once the cycling process is complete and you get some livestock going.

Thanks..will do

That's odd... does it have a built in timer? Not much point of a moon light if the "sun" light comes on with it... lol

the moonlight has a different switch. the moonlight is basically 2 blue LEDs

I vote hippo tang. :)

Nah, honestly, looks great Kam. One thing that will make your life easier is setting up an auto-topoff. Built mine in the third chamber of my 6 gallon Biocube using parts from floatswitches.com, an old extension cord and an aqualifter pump. Think the whole thing ended up being somewhere around $25.

One less thing you need to worry about - salinity shifts from evaporation.

PM sent about the floatswitch...do you modified your hood to fit in the hose? Evaporation so far is good on my cube..not much at all..i setup it like a week ago..water level is still up there

TheWire

Members
tank is cycled woot!

I have added some CUC crews...has emerald crab! :)

Picture313.jpg

Picture302.jpg

TheWire

Members
A little update:

Bad news is I have take all the rocks off and put in a bucket for now due to serious infestation of colonial hydroid, hydroids, Majano anemone and Aiptasia! I am getting full monty!!

still dont know what to do with those rocks!! :(

Luckily someone gave me 2 smaller piece of liverock - "clean" and I have added 3 pieces of base rocks on it.
I have also added 2 pieces of frag that given to me

1) red cap monti
2) encrusting gorgorian

Older picture prior me taking the rocks out
Picture382.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Watch out for that patch of green star polyps. They are really awesome and hardy, but will spread like crazy once they get a foothold. A lot of people sort of put them on their own little rock, with sand between it and main group... sort of like an island. It will quickly cover whatever it touches.

Sort of looks like you already did this. :happy0144:

Looking good. Keep it up, Kam!

TheWire

Members
Watch out for that patch of green star polyps. They are really awesome and hardy, but will spread like crazy once they get a foothold. A lot of people sort of put them on their own little rock, with sand between it and main group... sort of like an island. It will quickly cover whatever it touches.

Sort of looks like you already did this. :happy0144:

Looking good. Keep it up, Kam!

thanks...taking out the rocks was a bummer but I will add like 5more lb back to it...hopefully fully cured rocks so there is will be no mini cycle...

Getting some free pink pulsing xenia one day.....when i m ready ...going to make a xenia forest LOL

glenfoxman

Members
It will be at least a year from now before I attempt a saltwater tank. I still have another year of learning to do. Just a few questions...

How big or small should my first saltwater tank be? I am planning to have a reef tank with soft corals/fish/invertebrates.

How much live rock is a good start for the size tank I should start with?

Whose opinions should I trust as far as picking out which fish go together with corals and what cleaner critters to get?

TheWire

Members
Here is a quick updates...
I still need more rocks...I have added 2 clowns (1 at a time) kenya tree, pulsing xenia and a mushrooms

The pump is temp as i need to get my koralia replacement

Picture517.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I like your set-up. I just sent up an aquapod 12 yesterday. One thing I did different than you was set the live rock on egg crate and only add substrate to the front of the tank and in front of the live rock. This eliminates dead spots and increases circulation under and around the live rock.
Was the live rock you originally put in the tank cured when you got it? I picked up live rock last night that had been cured. It was not as pretty as yours, but it also did not come with hitchhikers.

This tank is really coming along, props to ya! This is only the beginning. Then you want a 30 gallon reef then a 90 gallon, then you end up with something so big you can't keep up with, like I did! I am trying to get my things together to get back into saltwater only this time I'll stay within my budget.

TheWire

Members
So, almost 4 months later. There is not much different than the last time :( I have a few new frags into the tank and a new rock.
I have to trim some of the xenia as they grew like a weed! need some? LOL

Here is an updated picture

Picture186.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Kam, the tank looks awesome!!!

I love the aquascaping.

It looks like your frags are not only staying alive, but spreading/growing. Most impressive sir. :)

You really looking to ditch some of that xenia? I'll PM ya, maybe we can arrange a trade of some sort.

TheWire

Members
Kam, the tank looks awesome!!!

I love the aquascaping.

It looks like your frags are not only staying alive, but spreading/growing. Most impressive sir. :)

You really looking to ditch some of that xenia? I'll PM ya, maybe we can arrange a trade of some sort.

thanks,
You can have the xenia for free!....i have already ditch some...but I should have some of you want...if you really insist to trade..i take a zoas..hah
Also if you want some antelia, I can get it for you for free too

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Great looking tank Kam! I see you even have fish now. Glad to see its coming along so well. That xenia will take over the tank if you don't keep on top of it.

TheWire

Members
Great looking tank Kam! I see you even have fish now. Glad to see its coming along so well. That xenia will take over the tank if you don't keep on top of it.

thanks! Ya, those xenia is taking over. I have to trim them a lot.

I am fighting some slight cyano right now....I am not sure where is the Phosphate came from....probably the flakes I am feeding...or the flow?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Not my area of expertise, but I know they make phosphate removers that you could put in a sump chamber. I think one might be called phos-ban. I might have an extra. Are you coming to the meeting on saturday?

TheWire

Members
Not my area of expertise, but I know they make phosphate removers that you could put in a sump chamber. I think one might be called phos-ban. I might have an extra. Are you coming to the meeting on saturday?

I have not tried that yet...but I may and Yes I am coming to the Saturday meeting. I have to pay my dues LOL