• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My filters are driving me crazy!! Please help

P.Knight

Members
So the sand in my tank burnt up my old penguin bio wheel 350 and so I returned it and got another one but I took the advance of putting the foam sponge on the intake tube and some how sand is still getting through and it's driving me crazy I just want a quite fish tank. What else should I do??

monfrey29

Members
Maybe shorten your intake tube and turn your pumps off when doing the water changes. That's what I got for advice and it worked for me. No more sand in the pump.

Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

P.Knight

Members
Yeah I forgot to say that and i take me filter out and usually have to clean the sand out every time so it's unplugged when I do my water changes every week, I don't know whats happening, debating on buying a canister filter just don't wanna spend the money

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sounds like you have been following all the advice that usually helps to keep sand out of the intake. If you are still pulling sand through your pre-filter, you may want to try a smaller pore foam. I've never had issues after installing a pre-filter.

If you are really fed up with it, go to filtration that is air driven rather than pump driven. You could do multiple sponges and box filters or get a big sheet of poret foam and do a Hamberg Matten Filter (I think the spelling is correct). Another option is to go to a sump with an overflow, that way your pump is in the sump and shouldn't be close to any sand. Any of these options are going to be noisier than a properly running power filter or cannister filter.

P.Knight

Members
Yeah thanks guys, Jesse I believe it's the really white cichlid sand sorry I forgot the name and if I was to get a cainster what would you guys recommend?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Easy does it

If you've raised the intake tube the only other way for sand to get in there is if you're stirring it up into the water column during water changes. That being said, Eheims are great but you're still going to be dealing with an uplift tube even if you go the canister route.

Rasta Fish

Members
you wont get away from that with really fine sand
You can try to put lots of stones/rocks under the intake, also if you have Fishes that will pickup sand and deposit it still wont matter much
You can also upgrade your sand to a bigger size like certain pool filter sand
what size tank you have and what fishes you have in it?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
first raise the tube 3-4" away from sand and then place pantyhose around the intake...or around the foam already there. problem solved.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Yep - leave it to a cross-dresser to solve it as such

Just don't get your panty hose in a twist.

ezrk

Members
If you have really fine sand it will go through a lot of foam....

If I wanted super super quiet tanks I would go with the Hamburg Mattenfilter approach BUT instead of using air powered lift tubes I would use small(er) pumps in tank, hiddend behind the filters, with an over teh back return line.

These should be pretty robust in retarding sand getting to the pumps impellers and are pretty quiet. This is what we have in our bedroom tanks and they are really really quiet. Like so quiet that late at night when there is no other noise we can hear the snails chewing algae off the backgrounds (which FYI was very freaky the first time I noticed and took quite some time to identify).

P.Knight

Members
So I finally picked up a new filter, I didn't get a canister bc I don't have extra money, but I did pick up a aqua clear power filter 110, I shorten the intake tube cut out this netting that sand shouldn't be able to pass through and I stuck that in the foam sponge. Sand is already 2-0 and I'm not looking to lose again lol but if it does get the best of me I'm switch over to gravel or cichlid mix. Thanks for the help everyone

P.Knight

Members
Yeah I fount this material like it and put it around the intake tube and then put the sponge on top of that

londonloco

Members
You must NOT have pool filter sand. I have 4 sand tanks with AC's and Filstar's, I've never had a problem with sand in a filter. Maybe the solution is to change your sand out to PFS?

Hawkman2000

Members
I use construction/architectural sand and my 350 has no problem. Well, at least no new problems since I changed the sand. The impelar started grinding now and then before I changed over.

I think your sand might be to fine. From what I have read here on CCA, fine sand can contribute to sulfur dioxide bubbles forming in the substrate.

Malawimania

Members
You must NOT have pool filter sand. I have 4 sand tanks with AC's and Filstar's, I've never had a problem with sand in a filter. Maybe the solution is to change your sand out to PFS?

I use Aqua Clears with pool filter sand and never run into issues either.

-Steve

Hawkman2000

Members
I used to use gravel, but I have found sand to be easier to deal with. It seems to me that as long as you have allot of circulation, waste and debris doesn't settle into it, and you don't have to vac it. I haven't vac'ed mine since I put it in their 6 months ago. I do vac up areas the debris collects in, but only off the surface.