• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

my DIY cheap HMF

Digital

Members
Hi

I've wanted to setup a HMF for sometime because of all the benefits that we're aware of, and I won't bother repeating. For as simple as they are, they still seemed too pricey when you buy the online kits. Also, when I talked to the techrep at JEHMCO about sizing an air pump for my fish room, I decided to avoid air lifts because of some of his warnings about HMF.

My goal is to make a complete HMF for a 40g breeder for less than $15.

Here is as far as I got tonight and need to let the silicone cure before I put the foam back in. i'm still contemplating where to position the powerhead. my current plan is to leave 2ft of pvc from the powerhead so water gets to the far side of the tank.

Questions and Recommendations are welcomed!

The foam was $3, the 80gph powerhead was $8, and I estimate I've used about $2 in pvc so far.

Thank you to Will (localzoo) for giving me the suggestion to use pvc pipe for the brackets.

20170827_195312.jpg 20170827_201932.jpg

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member
If I had trusted my math I could have gotten 2 corner filters out of that single piece, but I left it wider than I should of and had to retrim. next time I'll cut it to the right size the first time.
Thanks! I've seen similar stuff in eBay.

At $3 a sheet, it's not an expensive error if you cut it wrong.

Becca

Members
I did a cheap DIY one a few weeks ago with an air-driven DIY jet lifter - it worked out pretty well. I just cut the foam to a tight fit in the tank so I could wedge it in - it's not as attractive as a corner mattenfilter, but no brackets necessary :). I could see wanting at least a bottom bracket of some sort in the future, since substrate will get in the way when I have to take it out to clean it.

Digital

Members
I did a cheap DIY one a few weeks ago with an air-driven DIY jet lifter - it worked out pretty well. I just cut the foam to a tight fit in the tank so I could wedge it in - it's not as attractive as a corner mattenfilter, but no brackets necessary :). I could see wanting at least a bottom bracket of some sort in the future, since substrate will get in the way when I have to take it out to clean it.

Agree! I couldnt find cheap supply of 2" thick foam to avoid a corner filter. so far I've only found 1" cheap from amazon. I did put a center bracket to keep substrate out, or at least more of a challenge for the cichlids to work it under the filtef

Becca

Members
Agree! I couldnt find cheap supply of 2" thick foam to avoid a corner filter. so far I've only found 1" cheap from amazon. I did put a center bracket to keep substrate out, or at least more of a challenge for the cichlids to work it under the filtef
I found it. It wasn't as cheap, but want bad. Originally got it to cut for pond filters.
Aquacity Bio Sponge Filter Media Pad 17" Cut-to-fit Foam for Aquarium Fish Pond Reef Canister Tank (17.7" L x 17.7" W x 1.8" H) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ESXXBNW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_SWEJ556wIm2LZ

mchambers

Former CCA member
Still quite cheap. And thicker, which helps a lot. I doubt it will be as durable as Poret, of course. 30 ppl might be a little denser than I'd prefer, but it's not bad.

Digital

Members
First night home early enough to get more work done on this.

All parts installed, no gravel and water:
20170905_210818.jpg

Spent 30 minutes trying to preclean the caribsea crushed florida coral, but the water was still milky. the pipe is about 2" below the top of the surface and there was pretty good action at the surface.
20170905_215147.jpg

To get an idea of how much flow is making it out of the pipe, I angled it slightly out of the water. This weekend I plan on getting a couple of 45 degree elbows and having the pipe come out of the water and let the outlet water drop back into the surface.
20170905_215206.jpg

Aside from silicone holding the pvc pipes to the glass, I didnt use any pipe cement yet. I'll give this setup a month and if it doesnt have too many fatal flaws I've got 3 others to do that will be more permenantly put together and done a little cleaner.

Comments welcome

Marlin