• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My crazy fish story!

blkmjk

Members
Disclaimer) No fish were injured in the making of this story. Thank God.....

Ok my quest began sometime ago. About 1 month before the Gorillus Umbees were slated to hit the market. I reached out to Chris in an attempt to get some Gorillus Umbees. I was given a quote for fish and shipping three different ways. And was slated to officially place my order when they were released. Well like most of us I'm sure things didn't come together quite like I had intended. And I had to cancel my order but because I was busy at work at the time I was not able contact Chris directly and cancel directly.

Fast forward a few months. 8 months actually. I attempted to contact Chris again still dying to get my hands on Gorillus Umbees. I sent a pm and waited to hear back..... I got my order into him shortly after we worked out shipping thanks to Dan of COA. And I was scheduled to get my fish this past Friday. Chris sent me the AWB info and arrival info. We used Southwest Airlines. This is where the story goes incredibly wrong.

My package was scheduled to arrive at Washington Dulles Airport at 8:45pm Friday with plenty of time to unload before closing 10pm. I called and called trying to get an update on my package delivery, but was only able to leave messages. Finally at 20min until 10pm I got a human being on the phone. He told me that the flight was late and wouldn't be there for 10 more min........ WHAT!!!!!!!! You have to be kidding me! He also told me that I would have to pick up my live fish at 5 am the next day. I was pissed! Pissed really doesn't really even cover it. I explaied that these were live animals and that they would die if kept overnight. They could've have cared less.

Next morning 5am after an evening of no sleep. I was standing in front of the desk waiting for my package. Gave the nice lady my information and AWB number. She informed me that my package was not there........ WHAT!!!!!!! This is bull crap! I flipped out. Well where the heck is my package? "Chicago" she replied...... COULD YOU HAVE PICKED A COLDER CITY TO LEAVE MY FISH IN OVERNIGHT? She then told me that my package wouldnt be here until 11:35 am. While I was furious but its not her fault. So I got the number for their cargo office and proceeded to give them an earful when they opened at 8am Central time. My plane came in at 11:34 am 1 min early. OK things may be looking up. Well not exactly. They unloaded the the package but 1-1/2 hours later they couldn't find my fish. Well thank God someone at the office understands what live fish means. And she went to the tarmack to check for the package herself. And she found it brought it in and the box was destroyed. Styro broken looked like the box had been drop kicked. Covered in red tape by re inspection at southwest. Bags leaking everywhere..... I ripped the box out of her hands and inspected the contents. All appeared to be alive but not doing well..... I drove like a mad man home. And took a temp reading of the fish with my infared thermometer. 69*F holy crap! Once home started floating bags and bringing them up to temp slowly. I set up temp tanks in rubbermaids and treated water with salt adding sponges to everything.

I didnt loose a single fish... all are fine now. Thanks to Chris' expert packing all of the fish made it unscathed. No thanks to Southwest Airlines.

Special thanks to Jason freshwaterpredators for setting this up, Dan Cichluvr for helping me out with shipping, and Chris Umbeeking for the amazing fish! Cant say thanks enough for everyone involved with this transaction. I am still stunned that people I have never met could be so nice and helpful. Couldn't imagine nicer guys to deal with if you haven't done business with these guys your doing yourself a disservice. Pics to follow tonight. Stay tuned....

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
Glad to hear that they made it OK! A couple of days in the bag if they're properly purged and packed shouldn't be a problem. I always ship with 72 hr heat packs (even overnight) and at least double bag. Triple or more for big fish.

I've had good luck with airport to airport shipping (knock on wood), although only at BWI and Reagan National.

I don't and will never do business with UPS ever again after they held a box of fish from CT (~5 hrs by car) at their Burtonsville distro center for 5 days (!) over a long weekend. Amazingly some of the fish made it!

I gave everyone in the UPS customer support chain of command the option of either fixing the problem (i.e. getting the box out of the truck where it was sitting and letting me pick it up) or losing my business for life. UPS chose the latter. And ended up having to unload and re-load the truck anyway because of the stink of the fish that died rotting in a truck in July heat (affecting the other packages).

Cichlids are tougher than we give them credit for :)

Matt

Great story Drew glad to know all worked out well will be on the look out for fry at some point in the future.....

now look at my post regarding your last transaction with Rich Lol

verbal

CCA Members
Glad they made it.

My experiences at Dulles have been pretty good.

Delta from Michigan went smoothly despite a schedule change(fish sent later than expected).

Southwest from San Antonio had to stay overnight, but the fish were very well packed. Them closing at 10 pm can be an issue with evening flights.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
So far, I've had good luck with Southwest air cargo as well.

You should definitely get your money back.

blkmjk

Members
Everything was properly bagged I think the airlines opening the package halfway through removing all of the packing paper. And leaving things generally screwed up really contributed to the potential problem. They just can't leave well enough alone. You would figure that if they inspected the package in California and sealed it themselves that they wouldn't need to open it again. Guess not.... Can't wait until these little guys grow out. Now I have to seal the deal on two 265 gallon tanks. Fish room modification in the wings already.

Setup drip a system, pool glass filter and sump, placing all of the tanks on a single system! Anyone have experience drilling glass?

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

blkmjk

Members
So far, I've had good luck with Southwest air cargo as well.

You should definitely get your money back.

Going to fill out their failed service form and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Check with David Glover on drilling glass (screen name is Cabinetmaker, or close to it). He drilled all his own tanks for his fish room.

Becca

Members
I'm glad your story ended well. I remember going through something similar picking up some fish from BWI for Dennis Hare. I used to carry around battery operated air pumps for emergencies - it served me well a few times, particularly when high temperatures were an issue. You'd think if a box says "live animals" on it, you'd be careful with it.

blkmjk

Members
I can build hang on overflows out of pvc but I would prefer not to. Just for the space and how they look in the tank. If the glass isn't tempered I don't see the problem with drilling it? But it would be a guess if it was tempered or not unless I could reach the manufacture. First step buy the tanks. Next step figure out the hard stuff.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You can also build dump filters that look nice. No drilling and more efficient than a sump :)

Matt

I can build hang on overflows out of pvc but I would prefer not to. Just for the space and how they look in the tank. If the glass isn't tempered I don't see the problem with drilling it? But it would be a guess if it was tempered or not unless I could reach the manufacture. First step buy the tanks. Next step figure out the hard stuff.

verbal

CCA Members

Are you buying new? If you are then getting them drilled should be an option(for an additional cost).

verbal

CCA Members
You could probably run it with an in-line pump if you really wanted to get stuff out of the tank itself.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - pump goes in the tank for dump filter.

Another alternative is to feed the dump from the outflow of an FX5 or other canister. Of course you've got the intake tube for the canister in the tank (but no pump). This is what I do for my 180g.

Matt

If I do the dump filters the pump has to go in the tank right?

Drew