• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My aulonocara lost his eye!

Mague

Members
I added a new aulonocara (dont really remember the name)to my african cichlids tank and he losted his eye in a fight! Anyone knows how i can cure the wound? Or if he can recover the eye? I doubt he can recover his eye because there is no eye left!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The eye won't grow back, but the fish could still recover. I had a male chipokae when I was a kid who lost an eye and was basically free from the LFS. Meanest fish I ever owned. I had him for three years before shutting down my tanks when I went to college.

lonlangione

Members
I would suggest you move the fish to a separate tank by himself so the fish don't pick on his wound. Bare bottom tank is fine. I would also use an antibiotic in his water for a few weeks.

Chicklid

Members
The eye isn't going to grow back and you should probably keep the fish separate so he doesn't lose his other eye too!

Mague

Members
You guys think i should sacrifice him? Is it a good or bad idea to keep a one eyed cichlid? Its not very preety looking for a show tank. Has anyone here kept a fish with that kind of injury?

thedavidzoo

Members
I had an albino cory that mysteriously lost an eye. He survived without me doing anything. He was even paler than his usual pink/beige color for a week or so after, but then was fine.

If he doesn't fit into your tanks, post him as a giveaway. Someone will give him a good home without him losing his life due to fishkeeper error. Lesson learned - don't put peacocks in mbuna tanks.

Ah, you are right. I read African cichlid and assumed since you did not say peacock/hap tank . . . my apologies for the assumption.

However, if you added a single specimen to a tank at a time, this is a not-uncommon result, even in a peacock tank, unless IME it's a juvenile tank. I've had to pull out battered peacocks when added as a lone new guy, and learned to always add at least a trio at one time.

chriscoli

Administrator
I recently had a female peacock lose an eye, too. I did what other folks also suggested: quarantined her and treated with melafix and pimafix.

Acutally, I think the time off did her some good, (I mean, obviously losing an eye is NOT the preferred way of doing things) but while in quarantine, she was able to fatten up a little bit. When I reintroduced her (carefully) back into the community tank...she spawned within days.

On the plus side, she's really easy to net from the side with the bad eye!

Mague

Members
This kinds of casualties are the inevitable in this hobby. I have only 3 mbunas in my 125 gal african cichlid tank. Surprisingly they are preety passive for mbunas. The one that ripped his eye was a sulfur head.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sulfurhead peacocks (Aulonocara maylandi) do best in a species tank. I've never seen one with any sort of decent color in a mixed male setup.

232323232%7Ffp6356%3A%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D348584%3C478348nu0mrj

Last edited: