• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"Multies"

mattdaddy2

Members
I just picked up six of them. One bigger than the rest I know that has been said to be the male. Does anyone have another way of telling male and female?
Of how about getting them to "host" a shell and make the magic happen) ;)

With my multis, my males tend to have these short stripes between the longer ones and my females have a slight white-ish bellies.

Arlene

dogofwar

CCA Members
Shells or scattered pieces of 1/2" PVC rubble will work too. I've found males to be larger than females. They'll figure it out...

Matt

minifoot77

Members
no but they like fry :) multies are good at defending there colony... though smallest fish i've seen move a 4.5 inch calvus out of "their" area

rsretep

Members
I also keep synodontis with my shellies and I agree with Caleb, they do a fine job of defending their territory

toddnbecka

Members
I was surprised to see a couple wee multi fry in my 220 last night. I figured the plagiostoma spiny eel would eat the eggs, did see her raiding the shells while a pair tried (unsuccessfully) to drive her off. Looks like she missed some earlier though. I also have 6 juvie Synodontis in that tank that I haven't seen since I moved them in. Obviously they haven't gotten the multi fry either.