• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Moving Fry?

Becca

Members
So the Guianacara sp. and their 100's of fry have taken over about half of a 55 gallon tank. I've noticed some of the other fish looking beat-up, which is no big surprise. I thought moving some of the fry might help alleviate the situation. What is the best way to move tiny little fry without killing them?

spazmattik

Members
Fry trap sounds to close to fly trap.. since its a v shape entrance does this make it a ..venus fry trap?? hardy har har.. cool diy. sorta like a little minnow trap. Is it bad to use a net? I did this and didn't notice any significant loss.

Yup, turkey basters, or a small siphon like the one you used for the shrimp tank. I also have a tiny brine shimp net that's worked as well. I'm not sure removing fry will reduce the aggression in the tank, though. If they're like rainbows, they'll protect the fry until the fry group dwindles to a certain level and then they'll eat them or abandon them.