• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

moving an empty tank

cindyanne

Members
hey there,
I'm moving a 55 and i wonder if its okay to pack it in the car and leave it overnight when the expected low is 20 degrees. obviously i dont want to crack the glass.

Thanks!

MarkK

CCA Members
Staff member
The same goes for when you reach your destination. Tank should reach room temperature before you start filling/heating water in it.

fischfan13

Banned
hey there,
I'm moving a 55 and i wonder if its okay to pack it in the car and leave it overnight when the expected low is 20 degrees. obviously i dont want to crack the glass.

Thanks!

I would not.
If you saw the news about the aquarium in China shatter open they are blaming the cold temps.
I would be very worried about glass that is relatively not too thick being out in cold temps.

...but then, that's just me and I would rather take the few extra minutes in the morning to pack it.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I would not.
If you saw the news about the aquarium in China shatter open they are blaming the cold temps.
I would be very worried about glass that is relatively not too thick being out in cold temps.

...but then, that's just me and I would rather take the few extra minutes in the morning to pack it.

True but that was with water in the tank. One would assume that the water was warmer than the outside temp? Or the mall was warmer than the water?
When they load trucks full of tanks in Milwaukee, they get mighty cold prior to delivery around the country.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Big boy pants lost in the storm?

I would not.

Dang it William, don't tell me Sandy robbed you of your rootin-tootin ways.:D

I'd wager $100 that the reason that tank ruptured had far less to do with temperature than it did with faulty installation/bad design, especially if one considers the source. If naked glass was in the habit of exploding because of wind and temperature I think we'd have heard abut it before now...

If silicone wasn't such a darn good (and flexible) compound I'd be concerned about uneven expansion and contraction stressing the seals, but it is and the glass (actually a liquid) is equally tough. It'll be fine. As Pat said, how many tanks are exposed to cold/freezing temps at some point in their lives without ill effect? I'd guess most of them...

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Dang it William, don't tell me Sandy robbed you of your rootin-tootin ways.:D

I'd wager $100 that the reason that tank ruptured had far less to do with temperature than it did with faulty installation/bad design, especially if one considers the source. If naked glass was in the habit of exploding because of wind and temperature I think we'd have heard abut it before now...

If silicone wasn't such a darn good (and flexible) compound I'd be concerned about uneven expansion and contraction stressing the seals, but it is and the glass (actually a liquid) is equally tough. It'll be fine. As Pat said, how many tanks are exposed to cold/freezing temps at some point in their lives without ill effect? I'd guess most of them...

There is no way that temp alone did that. Had to be a defect or stress fracture and the temp set it off.
Like a few years ago when I had a small ship in the truck windshield. It was a warm spring day and I decided to wash the truck. As soon as the cold water hit the warm windshield it cracked from one side to the other.

fischfan13

Banned
I openly apologize for watching/listening to the news.
It's not like I get any of my news from, ahem, FOX :p

Youz guys are probably right, it was not as much temperature as it was poor workmanship.

Someone get me the remote!

cindyanne

Members
Thanks for all the responses! I can't move the 55 by myself, which is why loading the night before was required. It made the trip fine and we're getting gravel today to get it started. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
It'd be very dangerous to leave it outside, empty, on a cold night. You'd be much better off filling it while it's in the car.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Of course

It'd be very dangerous to leave it outside, empty, on a cold night. You'd be much better off filling it while it's in the car.

Better to use a smiley face or some such when suggesting something utterly ridiculous lest someone take you at your word. Pretty funny however, although you left out the part about running a heater out to the tank once it's filled.

JLW

CCA Members
You don't want to run a cord all the way out to the car. Just get one of those ac converters that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Plug the heater in there.

( :) )

Plenipotentiary-at-large
That occurred to me

But nonsense shouldn't be too elaborate -easier just to let the car idle all night with the heater on...

JasonC

Members
After all, we do always talk about how heating the room is more efficient than heating the tank... way to go green! :lol: