• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mouthbrooding moms!

illpoet

Members
Just thought i'd share a happy breeding story!

so i got a 55 tank i'm using to breed some H. Species 44's in. the adults are pretty small still (about 2 inches) so i'm not stripping the mom's instead I have about 1/8 of the tank cordoned off with a divider where i seperate the mom and also rear the fry. Anyhow this one mom was really slippery and i couldn't catch her to save the life of me. I have about 6 or 7 fry already so i figured i'd just let her go and catch a slower mom. Anyway today i looked into the cordoned off area and there were a bunch of new little fry! the mom actually spit the fry through a small crack at the bottom of the divider! the fry were still coming out the other side and goin into mom's mouth! then she'd spit them again through the divider! When i made the setup i actually worrried about the cracks and even sealed the other side with saran wrap. The only crack left is so small only newspits could fit through. as of right now all the newborns are happily swimming and eating on the divided side! I love seeing signs of how smart haps are!