• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Moenkhausia heikoi

Becca

Members
So, it's BFD week, which means catastrophic weather. We've had a whole tree and several branches come down and are quickly accumulating more bills to pay than I like to think about.

In a desperate attempt to offset the cost of the Homeowner's deductible, I'm listing my school of 6 Moenkhausia heikoi for sale. These are a rare, larger growing, relatively newly described tetra. I'm listing them at cost, even though they've doubled in size since I originally purchased them. I can't say I really want to part with them, but they're one of the few fish I have of any notable value (beyond sentimental).

Wobblebonk

CCA Members
Habitat of Moenkhausia heikoi (based on notes by the collector). Moenkhausia heikoi was found in swift current between large rocks (Figs. 8-9, and backcover). The water was crystal clear and no organic matter was dedected. Habitat parameters (26.07.02 at 15:30 hours): pH 7.17; temperature 29,5°C; conductivity 20 µS/cm.

I'm interested but hot damn that's a low conductivity, my L236 tank is like 100 tds is 20 µS/cm around 14 tds? I think they're both from xingu though... you also didn't say what cost is!

Becca

Members
Habitat of Moenkhausia heikoi (based on notes by the collector). Moenkhausia heikoi was found in swift current between large rocks (Figs. 8-9, and backcover). The water was crystal clear and no organic matter was dedected. Habitat parameters (26.07.02 at 15:30 hours): pH 7.17; temperature 29,5°C; conductivity 20 µS/cm.

I'm interested but hot damn that's a low conductivity, my L236 tank is like 100 tds is 20 µS/cm around 14 tds? I think they're both from xingu though... you also didn't say what cost is!

Oh my gosh... you're right... $250. I got the group for $250. I think it's because I really don't want to sell them. I just know I should.

I am actually keeping them in a tap/rain water mix in a tank with some added current because of the resident L134s (before you ask why I don't just sell those, they're my husband's precious). I got them from Aquatic Clarity, and double checked how he was keeping them before I bit the bullet. There's some suspicion that they spawn in rapids and eggs are carried downstream to calmer waters, but no one really seems to know.

Wobblebonk

CCA Members
That pdf is where I lifted the quote from. It sounds like their natural habitat is very similar to L236 to me, but I have a hard time not adding plants and driftwood.

The L236 tank is low-mid 80s temp with a fx6 and a 750-850 gph powerhead, so there's some current. ph from 7.1 to 6.0 daily, I don't know if I can get them to spawn but my conductivity is definitely a bit over 20 µS/cm. There's also a massive sponge filter that would fill 80% of a 10g tank in there hidden behind wood and a sea of usteriana.
It's up to you but I would take them...
I should probably just get a good ro unit at some point, collecting rain water is nigh impossible for me.

Becca

Members
I don't know what the heck a thehas is but I guess it saved me some money!

@TheHas = The Three Amigo The Three Amigo + f*cking autocorrect... I'm definitely torn about this one. It's stupid, but every time I look into their abnormally large eyes, I want to cry.

@TheHas = The Three Amigo The Three Amigo + f*cking autocorrect... I'm definitely torn about this one. It's stupid, but every time I look into their abnormally large eyes, I want to cry.

Well Becca I also said and will back it up,, if they spawn you will be the first person I contact....