• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mixing lakes

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an mbuna tank with several Tanganyikan and two Victorian cichlids living together peacefully.

JLW

CCA Members
This is an interesting question. A lot of purists will condemn you for mixing fish from different lakes, and this seems to be well focused on African fishes. No one bats an eye if you mix, say, Rio Negro with Rio Orinoco (even though water chemistry is quite different), or even fish from northern Brazil with Uruguay, even though those are entire different climates! :) Yet, mix Tanganyika with Malawi, oh boy, they're coming for you.

The water chemistry of the different lakes can play a component of whether you should mix them or not, but ... I don't believe in mucking up your tap water to suit the fishes anyhow. All too often, the fish wind up in a roller coaster of adjustments, and suffer more for it. The best solution is to pick fish that will go in your water, and our fish are incredibly adaptable. As long as extremes are avoided, including more sensitive fish, it makes no difference. Don't expect to keep and breed rams in malawi water.

But, if the fish are able to survive in your tap water, that's the chemistry you should keep them at (again, within reason). And, if all the fish are in the same water anyhow, what's it matter if you put a Frontosa in with an Oscar or a Peacock? As long as they get along and are cared for, who cares?

FishEggs

Thanks you have reassured exactly what I have been thinking to.
That doesnt mean he is right. :p
Although i agree with what he says. It comes down to personal preference. As long as the fish are healthy and happy and get along swimmingly what does it matter what the name of the lake is. Similar water chemistry is similar water chemistry.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I agree. Mix them if they fit and water chemistry is similar. I would also consider dietary requirements.

As long as the water requirements are compatible, mixing fish from different continents and origins can actually provides better harmony. Conspecific and close relative aggression is much greater than distant relatives. Lake Malawian cichlid get along with Lake Tanganyikans better with species of their own lake. I keep medium size ca and SA peacefully with rift lake cichlid as they don’t see each other as competition.

On the other hand, fish from the same habitat may not necessary be the best tankmates. For example, discus and parhanars originate from the same water, and they should never be housed together.

stany

CCA Members
I have maintained an all male tank with Malawi and Victoria species that is working for me. Need to be a little careful of species but otherwise they seem happy and tank parameters are close. I avoided Tanganyika because of the higher Ph requirements but I think I could see raising the Ph a bit to accommodate Lake Tang's.

John Barrier

Fish are friends not food
I have several different species in my tank. I monitor the water quality and do regular water changes. Now I do have a Flowerhorn in with my peacocks. I will be moving my Flowerhorn to his own tank. Feloneous (flowerhorn) has grown too quickly and i do not want him to start picking off his tank mates.