• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Metriaclima Mbenji SPAWN!

zackcrack00

Members
Hey guys! I went down for the night feeding on my 75 and one of my Cobalt Red Top Zebra females has eggs! About a week after I added the group of six, I started to see a color change in one of the vented females. It was turning into a male color pattern!!! I go downstairs tonight and this fish has her buccal out, and is chasing EVERYTHING that comes near her. I look into her mouth and there are a bunch of little orange eggs being incubated!!! I am so happy I was wrong about the supposed "female"! (the spawn happened in less than an hour :wub:)

Anyway, I set up the 5 gallon fry tank last week on Wednesday, and I have two more weeks before I strip her. That leaves me with 3 weeks to fully cycle it. I squeezed a sponge filter in the water of the 5g and I am going to take one of my sponge filters out of my 29g and squeeze the contents into a 32oz container, then squeeze out my sponge in my 5g into my 5g and stick it in the 32oz container and let is soak up the bacteria and put it back and plug it in. Should I leave her in the 75 or put her in the 5 when it's cycled?

Thanks, guys and gals!

-Zack:D

chriscoli

Administrator
Congrats!

Why not just move your established sponge filter into the 5 gal tank? You'd have it be instantly cycled then.

zackcrack00

Members
Well, I came home from the meeting last night and she no longer had eggs. I don't get it!!!! She had her eggs from Tuesday-Friday, and now she doesn't. They are an adult group, all 4+ inches in length! Hmph. Soooo dissapointing.

chriscoli

Administrator
+1

Give them a few tries. I find that egg tumblers are really hit or miss. I've lost a lot of eggs in the tumblers, too.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Well, I came home from the meeting last night and she no longer had eggs. I don't get it!!!! She had her eggs from Tuesday-Friday, and now she doesn't. They are an adult group, all 4+ inches in length! Hmph. Soooo dissapointing.

That's weird, when I came back from the meeting my demasoni that was holding when I left didn't have eggs when I came back. Something strange is going on here:beamup:.

zackcrack00

Members
I know, it's awesome! :D Maybe later we can trade some demasoni fry to keep our breeding groups going strong. I will have to do that after a few generations, as my dems came from 2 separate places.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I know, it's awesome! :D Maybe later we can trade some demasoni fry to keep our breeding groups going strong. I will have to do that after a few generations, as my dems came from 2 separate places.

I think I remember Dave saying in his talk yesterday that the whole mixing of "bloodlines" was exaggerated if you have multiple fish spawning in your group.