• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mesoheros Ornatum

Keo

CCA Members
Anyone have any information about them. I tried searching the web but everything is very vague.

cichlidshane

Members
Anyone have any information about them. I tried searching the web but everything is very vague.
I bought two from Jeff at the fish show/big deal back in 2013 and lost one when I moved in 2015. The one I have left is probably about 8 or so inches. They are very slow growing. To be honest mine might be a littler bigger if it was in a tank alone. Mine is now starting to show pretty nice colors. Jeff still sells them on his website. I think they are like 40-50$ each for a 2 inch fish. So, it will take a few years to get them bigger. It is one of my most colorful fish and it is less aggressive than I thought. Maybe just my fish. My second one that passed was also a male and it was about 1/3 smaller due to not being the dominate of the two. Stress can slow them in growing IMO. If I were to do it again I would buy like 4 of them and put them in a 125g-240g or bigger and let them grow out with fewer tank mates. Great looking fish if you have patience. They can be a little shy as well. You can see some good videos of them on GuapoteMel youtube site. Stunning fish.

Jeff site is www.tangledupincichlid.com I haven't seen them available for sale any other place. So, unless you do swaps or know someone I am not sure where else to get them.

Shane

cichlidshane

Members
I bought two from Jeff at the fish show/big deal back in 2013 and lost one when I moved in 2015. The one I have left is probably about 8 or so inches. They are very slow growing. To be honest mine might be a littler bigger if it was in a tank alone. Mine is now starting to show pretty nice colors. Jeff still sells them on his website. I think they are like 40-50$ each for a 2 inch fish. So, it will take a few years to get them bigger. It is one of my most colorful fish and it is less aggressive than I thought. Maybe just my fish. My second one that passed was also a male and it was about 1/3 smaller due to not being the dominate of the two. Stress can slow them in growing IMO. If I were to do it again I would buy like 4 of them and put them in a 125g-240g or bigger and let them grow out with fewer tank mates. Great looking fish if you have patience. They can be a little shy as well. You can see some good videos of them on GuapoteMel youtube site. Stunning fish.

Jeff site is www.tangledupincichlid.com I haven't seen them available for sale any other place. So, unless you do swaps or know someone I am not sure where else to get them.

Shane

They will dig out a spot that they claim if that is a concern.