• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

melafix diy receipe

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
BELOW IS A POST I FOUND ON ANOTHER FORUM. INTERESTING INFORMATION HERE. I MAY TRY THIS OUT MYSELF.

I see a lot of people on the forum using Melafix and since it is one of the biggest rip offs in the trade (however good it might be) I though I would make a post about how to make your own melafix. It can save a lot of money if you want to treat a large aquarium.

Melafix is 99% distilled water and 1 % Tea tree oil (meluca oil).

You can make your own distilled water or buy it cheaply. Tea tree oil is available online and in any health store, alternative medicine stores, walmart (thanks owlbehere) etc etc. You should have no problem finding it.

You then mix 1 ml oil to every 100 ml water and you get your own Melafix with the same strength as the store bought medicine (as close as makes no difference) Try to get the measurements as exact as possible but if you are a couple of ml of with the water it is no big deal. It is the oil you need to take care when you mix.

Addition by Korith: Bettafix is just a weaker solution of Melafix. Melafix I think 5x more concentrated than Bettafix. So if melafix is 1% solution, than bettafix would be a .2% solution.

Addition by fraggle: To make your own Pimafix it's 1% Bay oil or Pimenta racemosa, same as concentrations as the Melafix, so 1ml in 100ml of water

Rfreddy321

Members
WOW!! What a money saver. Since I am a novice, under what circumstances would you use melafix? When an anitbiotic is needed and do you need to remove the charcoal? What strengths per gallon of water? Again I need all the help I can get.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks DQ. I'm sure its a lot cheaper to mix and it doesn't sound hard or confusing. Every penny saved goes towards new fish.

I was wondering about this when the laSt time I used Melafix. My wife says "in the ingredients it says only tee tree oil, I have some of that upstairs." My response "it can't be that simple". Thanks DQ for proving me wrong. Just don't tell my woman. lol

AWESOME find!

Cartel

Members
Dang I haven't thought about that sounds easy enough and I think I already have some tea tree oil. Melafix works wonders so I'll def try it.

TheWire

Members
wow...

I remember seeing in the label stating in California law prohibit this stuffs to be drain into the water system as it can cause cancer....and they are selling at health store...wtf!

Cartel

Members
People use tea tree oil all the time for home remedies. Mom tells me they used it back in the day for various fungus an stuff. So I can see how it works on fish.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
We'll that's good to know.:happy0144:

Richard

Subby2007Logo-1.png

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I finailly found some of this locally. I got the last bottle Rite Aid had, and I went to several. It was $10 for 2oz, if I calculated correctly that will make 1.5 gallons!

Cartel

Members
Its easy to find here at least theres some herbal supplement shop here on rt. 1 that has all diff brands of it. I made a gallon so far.

Ive used this and its great, what a saver. The store bottle is about 13 bucks. Ive filled it 2 times and still can probably make 3 more. Total cost would be about 12.00 or so.

I just looked up this earlier to get the mixture lol

bschuhart

Members
Why even mix it? Can't you just add the active ingredient to the aquarium water?

BELOW IS A POST I FOUND ON ANOTHER FORUM. INTERESTING INFORMATION HERE. I MAY TRY THIS OUT MYSELF.

I see a lot of people on the forum using Melafix and since it is one of the biggest rip offs in the trade (however good it might be) I though I would make a post about how to make your own melafix. It can save a lot of money if you want to treat a large aquarium.

Melafix is 99% distilled water and 1 % Tea tree oil (meluca oil).

You can make your own distilled water or buy it cheaply. Tea tree oil is available online and in any health store, alternative medicine stores, walmart (thanks owlbehere) etc etc. You should have no problem finding it.

You then mix 1 ml oil to every 100 ml water and you get your own Melafix with the same strength as the store bought medicine (as close as makes no difference) Try to get the measurements as exact as possible but if you are a couple of ml of with the water it is no big deal. It is the oil you need to take care when you mix.

Addition by Korith: Bettafix is just a weaker solution of Melafix. Melafix I think 5x more concentrated than Bettafix. So if melafix is 1% solution, than bettafix would be a .2% solution.

Addition by fraggle: To make your own Pimafix it's 1% Bay oil or Pimenta racemosa, same as concentrations as the Melafix, so 1ml in 100ml of water

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
wow...

I remember seeing in the label stating in California law prohibit this stuffs to be drain into the water system as it can cause cancer....and they are selling at health store...wtf!

The people of California think water causes Cancer.....

If you dose Melafix make sure you add an air stone to the tank. For some reason it displaces or uses teh Oxygen in the water causing fish to suffocate. I found tis out the hard way (two unintended fish deaths)

Thanks for the tip DQ

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
The people of California think water causes Cancer.....

If you dose Melafix make sure you add an air stone to the tank. For some reason it displaces or uses teh Oxygen in the water causing fish to suffocate. I found tis out the hard way (two unintended fish deaths)

Thanks for the tip DQ
THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP PRINCE. ;)