• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Manacapuru Angles

Aqua410

Members
I am in the process of getting a tank set up for the first time in a few years and getting pretty excited to stock it.

This is going to be a heavily planted display tank with a some Columbian tetras, cardinals, a cleanup crew and hopefully some angles as a centerpiece.

Are red shoulder manacapuru angles being kept or bred by anyone here? Is there any chance to find these locally or should I be looking online?

Acara19

CCA Members
I don't think anyone here has any available, I would check tangled up in cichlids though, he usually has at least one wild angel available.

FishEggs

might want to go with angels though instead of angles. they work better in the water. 😇

a while back i grew out some silver angels i got from Frank Cowherd Frank Cowherd that were very nice and got a bit of red/orange cap on them. Not quite the same but maybe a local option.

ApistoAly

CCA Members
I was actually looking to move my group of 5 manacaparu. They are almost full grown. I got them from Dans fish a while back. One is missing his ventral fins but that doesnt bother him at all as he seems to be the boss of the group. Not sure if it was an injury or genetic. my number is 703-341-9441 if you want me to send you pics and info.

Acara19

CCA Members
I was actually looking to move my group of 5 manacaparu. They are almost full grown. I got them from Dans fish a while back. One is missing his ventral fins but that doesnt bother him at all as he seems to be the boss of the group. Not sure if it was an injury or genetic. my number is 703-341-9441 if you want me to send you pics and info.
Before you do, I'd like to see this angel with no ventrals

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I keep manacapuru angels, but am not breeding them. I got one group from Tangled Up in Cichlids and another group from Aquatic Arts. I have bought a few over the years from a couple different LFS... none turned out to be manacapuru.

neut

Members
I keep manacapuru angels, but am not breeding them. I got one group from Tangled Up in Cichlids and another group from Aquatic Arts. I have bought a few over the years from a couple different LFS... none turned out to be manacapuru.
My understanding is there's more than one population in the Manacapuru river and not all have the red color, meaning they can legitimately come from Manacapuru, but not have the 'red back.' It's similar with Peru scalare, not all have the red spotting. I've also been looking for red back Manacapuru lately (or I might settle for Amapa red backs) and not seeing the true red backs right now, except for Dans Fish, which he says have shorter fins than some.

ApistoAly

CCA Members
My understanding is there's more than one population in the Manacapuru river and not all have the red color, meaning they can legitimately come from Manacapuru, but not have the 'red back.' It's similar with Peru scalare, not all have the red spotting. I've also been looking for red back Manacapuru lately (or I might settle for Amapa red backs) and not seeing the true red backs right now, except for Dans Fish, which he says have shorter fins than some.
i got mine from Dans Fish . TR

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
As mine put on size, the ones without red had a different shape of the mouth, whereas the ones with red have a mouth similar in shape to rio nany angels and altums.