• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

malawi idea, will it work??

cichlids

Members
i'm thinking of getting some yellow tail acei, some yellow labs, and throwing in also some red jewel (maybe dwarfs) does that sound like a good colorful idea?? theyre going in a 55gl tank.

verbal

CCA Members
i'm thinking of getting some yellow tail acei, some yellow labs, and throwing in also some red jewel (maybe dwarfs) does that sound like a good colorful idea?? theyre going in a 55gl tank.

Why not do ruby red peacocks, acei and yellow labs?

Usually peacocks don't work well with mbuna, but Acei and Yellow labs are mellow for mbuna.

cichlids

Members
hmmm maybe. do you know of any other good ones? and yeah i want a mellow feeling bc its just going to be as a display tank

I have found that jewels are HIGHLY aggressive. Especially during breeding. Some are fairly mellow though. Depends on the individual fish really.

Azraphael

Members
If your looking for mellow have you considered Kribensis? Really colorful, easy to keep, breed like rabbit and peaceful. Bolivian rams, firemouths, jewel cichlids are also all peaceful, although all cichlids have individual personalities and have the capacity to have a nasty side

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If your looking for mellow have you considered Kribensis? Really colorful, easy to keep, breed like rabbit and peaceful. Bolivian rams, firemouths, jewel cichlids are also all peaceful, although all cichlids have individual personalities and have the capacity to have a nasty side

All good choices for low aggression, but I wouldn't keep any of these with mbuna.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not a good idea to keep Hemichromis sp. (jewels), kribs or Thoricthys with mbuna. It might work (for awhile even) but they're very different fish with different behavior.

It's best to keep mbuna with mbuna but you can get away with mixing some of the milder ones with peacocks.

They're all constantly moving, colorful, active fish, but if you're looking for something that's calm, African cichlids aren't first fish that come to mind for me at least!

Matt

Azraphael

Members
God no! I was even thinking mbuna in there! I agree if your getting mbuna then have an all mbuna tank but they are anything but peaceful

Azraphael

Members
Probably because there is only one peacock, add a couple more and watch the social dynamic change

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Not a good idea to keep Hemichromis sp. (jewels), kribs or Thoricthys with mbuna. It might work (for awhile even) but they're very different fish with different behavior.

It's best to keep mbuna with mbuna but you can get away with mixing some of the milder ones with peacocks.

They're all constantly moving, colorful, active fish, but if you're looking for something that's calm, African cichlids aren't first fish that come to mind for me at least!

Matt

This.

Though it's not crucial for jewels, you may also want to consider water chemistry. Hemichromis come from softer, more acidic water in West Africa whereas rift lake cichlids come from very hard, basic water conditions.

Hawkman2000

Members
This.

Though it's not crucial for jewels, you may also want to consider water chemistry. Hemichromis come from softer, more acidic water in West Africa whereas rift lake cichlids come from very hard, basic water conditions.

My thoughts exactly. I keep my jewels with firemouths and a convict (insert joke here), and the jewels control the tank.

Jewels and kribs are better kept at a Ph around 7.2 to 7.4 (at least for me), while rift lakers are around 7.8 to 8.2.

the single ruby red boy acts as sort of an "accent" piece against the labs and acei. I only put in one for a reason. and felt my example might meet the OP's needs. Was not suggesting more than one single male.