• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Love this stuff!

Becca

Members
So, a couple weeks ago my husband had a mid-life crisis and dropped an absurd amount of money on a motorcycle. I decided this authorized me to drop a less absurd (still conceivably absurd) amount of money on new botanicals for my aquariums. The water in the gourami tank is just too light - I can see the fish - the Dicrossus haven't spawned in a while, the 55 has a new scape and could use some "statement" pieces... you know, fish world problems.

This time I focused on things my growing assortment of wood-eating plecos and biofilm browsing shrimp might appreciate, along with a few items I was hoping my Parosphromenus might find worthy of a spawn. The discount from last week was just too good to pass up and most of my original order was just no longer leaching the good stuff (though several items still exist).

Normally, when I want tannins, I just toss a cr*p-ton of oak leaves in my tanks, but that gets messy and they do degrade quickly, plus they only go so far. Oak leaves are great, and cheap. I like cheap, but I was emboldened by the recent death trap purchase... or something.

This was my 2nd time ordering from TA (you know, because I'm cheap) - shipment was fast, my order arrived in just a few days, and came with a bonus extra - coco curls in a cute burlap puch. The most impressive thing about this is that it wasn't a random bonus. The coco curls were something Scott added to my last order when he heard I was working with chocolate and licorice gouramies. This little extra was something specifically (I think, at least) geared toward the fish Scott knows I keep.

I haven't had an experience this nice with a retailer since the time Josh from Batfish showed up at BFD2 with fish I hadn't ordered but he knew I wanted and couldn't find. This is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back to retailers, even if they are more expensive than oak leaves.

In other news - I did try the Aqua Tropica pleco disks and my plecos (Blue Panaque, L-183, Leopard Frog, "Flier") went apesh*t for them. I wasn't even sure all of those plecos were still in my tanks, but they came out of the woodwork, quite literally, for this stuff.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Good stuff and great story. I like your purchase much better than your spouse's, but that's just me.

Becca

Members
Good stuff and great story. I like your purchase much better than your spouse's, but that's just me.
Agreed.

My husband's purchase came with a good story, too. He got a "good deal"on the bike because it was a used 2015 model year with 75 miles on it. It was "used" because a gentleman having a later-mid-life crisis purchased it and scared the cr*p out of himself riding it home. He came back and traded it in for a trike.

Honestly, I was kind of hoping that the same thing would happen to my husband, but Batman tailed him home from the dealer to ensure he made it back safely.

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Thanks SO much for the kind words!

I think it's probably as much fun for us to pick the special "Enigma Pack" stuff as it is to open it up! In fact, I think I have more fun (lol) 'cause there is a certain geeky "high" you get as a hardcore fish geek, picking stuff to (hopefully) delight another hardcore fish geek!

This whole idea of using leaves and seed pods to create blackwater habitats and such isn't exactly new, and definitely not "invented" by Tannin- but I think we've played a small role in getting our fellow fish geeks more excited than ever about what used to be a rather obscure and neglected niche. When we hear the happy stories- see the cool pics of tanks and box openings and pod prepping...it's a joy that goes beyond worlds. It really, truly is a privilege to share our passion with you...and an honor to see that you're enjoying this stuff and doing cool things with it- string it with the hobby world. Thanks again for your support and enthusiasm!

-Scott