• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lost power

Ading522

Members
youll be fine.. just try to keep the temp from going down..african cichlids are somewhat sensitive to temp changes.. no feeding.. battery powered air pumps are ok.. i think your power will be back on in a bit..considering our area isnt in any kind of power outage warning..

neut

Members
Have had many outages over the years where I live. Had a two day outage middle of winter some years ago. We had a propane heat to keep the main rooms in the house warm but the fish room got pretty cool and by the second day temps were down to high 60s to 70 in my tanks. Was breeding a lot of haps and peacocks at the time (and fronts). Didn't bother them. Kept O2 in the tanks with battery air pumps and I didn't feed for the couple of days. They slowed down their activity some until power and tank temps came back up, but no real issues.

Only fish at the time that was stressed was a wild rotkeil severum I had-- eyes got cloudy, but he recovered quickly and continued to live a healthy life-- since he was full adult size when I got him (or at least two years old) he'd have to have been at least 13 when he died.

Filters also recovered quickly, largely due to the cool temperatures, especially my fluidized bed filters (known for recovering quickly from power outages), but other filters back up to speed pretty quickly also. Had it been hot I'd have needed to do more to keep filters from turning sour.

Last edited:

chriscoli

Administrator
A couple of winters ago we had a multi-day power outage. Tanks dropped to the 50s, house was down to 42. Not all the fish made it, but my Mbuna did. They were almost in a torpor-like state but they did eventually recover. I think a few more hours and I would have lost them though.

frankoq

Members
So is there a way to try to keep the temp up?

What about the bb in the canisters?
Will it be ok for a few days?

Just trying to be ready in case it happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There are a couple of really good threads on power outages from back when we had the hurricane last year. Frank Cowherd has a good write up on things to do. Try searching the forum for it.

CichlidOWNR

Members
I had to pull my backup system out a couple of times this year. I use a marine battery, power inverter to plug in power strips into as a back up (don't have a generator and no place to have one in my townhouse). Not too expensive of a set up and have the marine battery on a trickle charger when not in use. Will give a couple or few days use for extended use or piece of mind if power goes out overnight. Very easy. Found the setup by doing internet search.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I had to pull my backup system out a couple of times this year. I use a marine battery, power inverter to plug in power strips into as a back up (don't have a generator and no place to have one in my townhouse). Not too expensive of a set up and have the marine battery on a trickle charger when not in use. Will give a couple or few days use for extended use or piece of mind if power goes out overnight. Very easy. Found the setup by doing internet search.

When I lived in the Dominican Republic we had a rack literally with like 10-12 batteries that were always charging (I know it would stop when fully charged) and automatically switched on to a transfer box when we lost power
It's def a sweet set up I liked that it was silent.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ezrk

Members
Outside of Winter this is not very worrying in the short term. The tank temp is unlikely to fall below 70 or so very quickly and the Mbuna are fine with that if a bit slow moving. Keep the tank oxygenated (and even that isn't a worry for a few hours at least) and they will be fine.

The filters will be fine as long as they stay wet, the bacteria are tough little buggers and do find for quite some time apparently.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've had Aquaclear filters that wouldn't restart with a power outage. In each case, I've replaced the impeller and impeller shaft and the problem stopped. At a minimum, replace the impeller shafts on a somewhat regular basis. They are cheap and keep your filters running smoother.