• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lophiobagrus cyclurus

Freakgecko

Members
Anybody else keep these guys? Dwarf tanganyikan bullhead catfish.

My pair spawned again for the upteenth time, however, either the eggs end up disappearing, or fungus over. Wondering if anyone else has had success with raising the fry up. Have not had the eggs hatch once. They aren’t mouth brooding, so idk if a tumbler would help or not? They’re in a heavily planted 90 gallon with a decent amount of driftwood, so I’m wondering if the water isn’t hard enough for the eggs to hatch. May try moving them in with my Shellie’s. I’ve had a different pair spawn in the past and hatch their eggs, although they were always under a large rock and unable to be reached before getting picked off. Any advice would be appreciated!

JLW

CCA Members
Cool fish that you don't see too often, kind of a Lake Tang wood cat wanna be. I kept them a couple of years ago in the shop, and they bred pretty easily.
I think you're hitting the nail on the head with suspicion that its soft/acid water doing the eggs in; I had no trouble rearing them, but they were in typical African cichlid conditions, hard and alkaline-ish. You might want to try moving them.

An egg tumbler would help; they're not just for mouthbrooders. They simply serve to keep the eggs moving, so they don't rot as easily.

Freakgecko

Members
This batch seems to have fungused and he’s in the process of eating them. Once I get some of the brevis moved, then I will move the pair into the tank with them. Catching the female is going to be a nightmare

Freakgecko

Members
My male is about 3” now, but I’m not sure when they started spawning honestly because they’re so secretive about it. I’ve had these guys since they were about 3/4” or so. Cichlid and pleco caves work really well for spawning them. They remind me of plecos in a way. The male almost never leaves his cave. Everyonce in a while, the female leaves her den under some wood and will spend a few days in this tiny little cichlid stone with him, and then she leaves again, with about a dozen or two little clearish white eggs. Honestly, this genus is so poorly studied that I think I may have a different species than cyclurus, but the species name is slipping my brain this second

Freakgecko

Members
My male is about 3” now, but I’m not sure when they started spawning honestly because they’re so secretive about it. I’ve had these guys since they were about 3/4” or so. Cichlid and pleco caves work really well for spawning them. They remind me of plecos in a way. The male almost never leaves his cave. Everyonce in a while, the female leaves her den under some wood and will spend a few days in this tiny little cichlid stone with him, and then she leaves again, with about a dozen or two little clearish white eggs. Honestly, this genus is so poorly studied that I think I may have a different species than cyclurus, but the species name is slipping my brain this second
I lied, he’s like 2-2.5”. Female is a touch smaller.

Yeah, would love to get these guys out. They’re neat little catfish, especially at night

chriscoli

Administrator
Mine are from Barbie, and I got them from her at the last CatCon. She told me to breed them just like Ancistrus.

Becca

Members
I've used egg tumblers for pleco eggs and they've worked great., just helps keep the eggs clean.

Freakgecko

Members
Mine are from Barbie, and I got them from her at the last CatCon. She told me to breed them just like Ancistrus.
They definitely breed like ancistrus. Male has a small cave, female doesn’t hang around. Male protects cave while the eggs are in there

May end up grabbing a tumbler. I’m not allowed to move him in his cave while he has the eggs apparently. Last time I tried, he defiantly grabbed the egg bunch and threw it out of the cave...once I move some of these brevis, I’ll move the pair in there, I’ve got a bunch of crushed coral I can add to the filter too