• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for suggestions

jstlstn

Members
Hello guys been on here a couple of weeks soaking up so much info. I am planning my 125 and still have not narrowed down which canister filter I will use.
My major concern after reliability and correct size is quietness. Currently my 55-gallon has a sun sun on it and it is silent. I am starting to see a lot of negative reviews about sun sun/aquatop so I think I want to try something else. I have also seen some reviews with concerns with the FX6, including the fact that amazon is suspending selling it directly. I decided against a sump due to location of tank, it’s going in the living room. Please chime in on your suggestions.
Also looking for suggestions for an external pump to push prepared water from my 30 gal storage to the tank during water changes. My head will be between 3 and 4 FT. It will also be used in a DIY sand cleaner to increase suction and pump cleaned water back to tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
FX5s are workhorses and do a great job.

It might be simpler just to go with a couple of large HOB filters for a living room tank. Relatively quick and simple to clean vs. a canister and move plenty of water.

When I had a tank in our living room (entry way), I got the stink-eye whenever I dragged the canister filter out from under the tank to clean it...which meant that I didn't clean it as often as I should have. Cleaning HOB media is much less disruptive.

Mag drive pumps work great for moving water. Why not just use a Python or similar for water changes?

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
If I were doing a 150 in a living room, I'd think seriously about putting two Hamburg mattenfilters in the back corners. You'd need a way to move the water silently, so I might use water pumps rather than air pumps. Maybe some folks with mattenfilters could weigh in here.

FX5s are workhorses and do a great job.

It might be simpler just to go with a couple of large HOB filters for a living room tank. Relatively quick and simple to clean vs. a canister and move plenty of water.

When I had a tank in our living room (entry way), I got the stink-eye whenever I dragged the canister filter out from under the tank to clean it...which meant that I didn't clean it as often as I should have. Cleaning HOB media is much less disruptive.

Mag drive pumps work great for moving water. Why not just use a Python or similar for water changes?

Matt

Me too. I am no fan for canister and much prefer HOBs. I have a 125 in my entry foyer and a 75 in my living room, both filtered by multiple HOBs. I run three Penquin 350 in my 125 and 2 Penquin 350 in my 75. I can't take the chance of having canisters in my living area because if they leak, they can drain my tanks. Besides, cleaning canisters is a pain which is a negative incentive to clean often. HOBs are unforgiving and must be cleaned often. In my heavily loaded 125 and 75, I have to replace all filter pads twice a week. Cleaning often provides healthier water quality than canister's procrastination which essentially sweep dirt under the rug. Cleaning HOBs is so easy so it is no big deal to do often.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good call, Matt, especially if it's a planted tank.

Matt

If I were doing a 150 in a living room, I'd think seriously about putting two Hamburg mattenfilters in the back corners. You'd need a way to move the water silently, so I might use water pumps rather than air pumps. Maybe some folks with mattenfilters could weigh in here.

Gyarados

Members
I've got an FX6 on my 210 and I'm not a big fan. The impeller needs cleaning wayyy to often. For a 125 I think you'd be really happy with 3x Aquaclear 110's with prefilters.

No experience with Mattenfilters as someone else mentioned but I've been wanting to try them! They add tons of Bio and Aeration all while hiding your ugly heaters!
checkout these guys, they sell kits for them http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

Becca

Members
Aquaclears do get a little noisy on occasion and will push the tank off the wall considerably.

We've got 2 Eheim 2217s running on a 150 (one on each side) and they are quiet and easy to work with. Whatever you go with, at least 2 filters is a must.

You might be able to use 3-4 Cobalt EXT filters. They are VERY quiet because the pump goes in the tank. They are also EXCEPTIONALLY easy to work with. Josh from Batfish Aquatics is a Cobalt dealer and is placing a special pre-order today or tomorrow - you should check out the price lists he has posted.

I've got an FX6 on my 210 and I'm not a big fan. The impeller needs cleaning wayyy to often. For a 125 I think you'd be really happy with 3x Aquaclear 110's with prefilters.

No experience with Mattenfilters as someone else mentioned but I've been wanting to try them! They add tons of Bio and Aeration all while hiding your ugly heaters!
checkout these guys, they sell kits for them http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

HOBs also need periodic impeller cleaning to assure reliable restarting. But it's so easy to access and clean HOB impeller that it's no big deal. I prefer Penqine to Emperor or AC because the box is narrower so I can fit the tank closer to the wall. Marineland sells filter baskets so I can buy cheap polyester batting by the yard and cut my filter pads to fit.

Mattenfilters is essentially a DIY large internal foam filter. It works essentially as an AC filter except that it takes up internal tank space instead of external behind the tank space. Cleaning a large foam is messy so it's better to run with an air pump or a low capacity water pump to slow down clogging and use straightly for biological.

JLW

CCA Members
The Cobalt EXT is only rated up to about 55-gallons. If you're running light load, two would do it, though I'd go with a third. That might be more hosing than you want on the tank. They're dead quiet. I worry they're not running sometimes, and have to check the output -- they always are, but there's no noise.

Super easy to clean, too.

jstlstn

Members
Thanks for all the input

Thanks for all the input everyone. HOB are out of the question they tend to be louder to me and the cleaning of a canister is not a bother to me at all. I actually find it calming when I clean my tanks. I will be installing a sliding/rolling shelf on the bottom of the stand so moving it is not an issue. I have a python I think the strength of the suction is not worth the fresh water wasted. A water pump attached to it sending filtered water back to the tank on the other hand seems a better choice for in between water change cleanings. The pump will also move conditioned water into the tank for water changes.

I was thinking about a mat filter for additional filtration. Since one end will basically be in a corner it would not reduce viewing area. It would also help clean up the look, as heaters and at least one power head would be hidden. just trying to figure out how to deal with the look of the filter as it gets dirty. Basically the canister would be mostly mech and the mat filter would be my bio. BTW it will not be a planted tank to start with. I may at some point add plants. The plan is an all male hap/peacock with either yellow labs or rusty colony to fill it out. a Deep water, yellow blaze, OB peacock, wireline molt, fire fish, pleco's and upside down cats.

lkelly

Members
I run a Python but with a pond pump attached on the tank end. I just turn on the pump to drain water and then turn it off when filling. You aren't siphoning from the bottom of the tank using that method, but you can do that on occasion using a bucket if needed.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yep

I run a Python but with a pond pump attached on the tank end. I just turn on the pump to drain water and then turn it off when filling. You aren't siphoning from the bottom of the tank using that method, but you can do that on occasion using a bucket if needed.

I do the same, except that I connect the Python to a faucet if I need to clean the substrate.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I haven't heard of the issues with the FX6. I have several FX5s, and they are my choice for canisters.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Agreed, I have 2 fx6s and a 50 gallon sump on my 300 and If I had to pick between just the sump or the fx6s, I'd pick the canisters. They are amazing filters and one would be amazing filtration for your 125.
I also have had great luck with the filstar xp canisters.
For water changes, I use a similar system and I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/AAPW800-800-G...=1451397542&sr=8-1&keywords=800+gph+pond+pump
They are great pumps for not that much money. I have one on my aquaponics outside and its been fine for over 6 months outside.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a Marineland 360 on my 55 gallon overstocked mbuna tank. I clean it out several times/year. I've yet to see the flow slow down at all even at that infrequent cleaning interval. While still using the original foam and polishing pads, I plan to replace the polishing pad with pinky filter next time. Will also replace the charcoal bags with lava rock at the next clean up. I do weekly 50% water changes using a python and dechlor.

I've got a Marineland 360 on my 55 gallon overstocked mbuna tank. I clean it out several times/year. I've yet to see the flow slow down at all even at that infrequent cleaning interval.

If a canister doesn't slow down over time despite infrequent cleaning, it is losing mechanical because the flow is short circuiting the media. Same thing can happen to an HOB if the filter pad seems to last forever and the likely location is a leak on the edge.

Most people complain that HOBs being noisy. There is truth to it if you don't maintain it right. There are three maintenance tasks that can keep an HOB quiet: First, keep the tank water level high to reduce cascading water noise; Second, change the filter media as soon as it gets clogged up to stop water from cascading over the spillway; Third, replace worn out impeller that makes clicking noises.

Becca

Members
If a canister doesn't slow down over time despite infrequent cleaning, it is losing mechanical because the flow is short circuiting the media. Same thing can happen to an HOB if the filter pad seems to last forever and the likely location is a leak on the edge.

Most people complain that HOBs being noisy. There is truth to it if you don't maintain it right. There are three maintenance tasks that can keep an HOB quiet: First, keep the tank water level high to reduce cascading water noise; Second, change the filter media as soon as it gets clogged up to stop water from cascading over the spillway; Third, replace worn out impeller that makes clicking noises.

I have noisy HOBs but it's because I'm running additional aeration and bubbles get into the filter. No amount of maintenance or replacement has ever silenced them.

mchambers

Former CCA member

Canisters have far greater volume of media than HOB filters, so this just doesn't happen as quickly. Also, a well-designed canister (e.g., Eheim Classic or Cobalt EXT) isn't likely to have much bypass of the media (I think that is what you mean by short-circuiting the media).