• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for suggestion s for a colorful cichlids for a ten gallon tank.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Looking for suggestion s for a colorful cichlids for a ten gallon tank. The tank is in my daughters room ad she said they have to be colorful. I don't think shellies will do. Not enough color.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have seen recommendations on other sites that say you can keep a pair if apistos in a 10G, although I have never done it myself.

chris_todd

Members
An apistogramma pair? German Blue Rams? Kribs?

If it were me, I'd go with the Rams, they're almost flourescent in their colors, they have a mix of blue, black, and red, and their behavoir is great - very active, and they come to the front of the tank when I approach. Plus, they're widely available (I know Frank Cowherd breeds them) and not terribly expensive.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Blue Rams

Blue rams are sensitive to water quality, so I wouldn't put them in a new tank. I also think a 10 gallon is a little small for them.

I'd go with male guppies if she wants colorful in a 10 gallon.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
It's not a completely new tank. All of the sand, the filter and half the water came for the 5 gallon I had in her room for 2 years. I was thinking rams to. I just have to find a pair. That wont kill each other.

lonlangione

Members
I would suggest any of the kribs or german blue rams. Bev & DAle Newcomer of the Amazon Basement in York breed their rams in 10 gallons. I would suggest a pair and then maybe some danios or other fish that would stay near the top of the tank. Also a few smaller corydoras like pandas. I'm not aware of the problems with rams being fussy about water quality. As long as the tank is clean and frequent water changes are done there should be no problem.

Lonny

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Thanks for the suggestions but I have chose six badis badis that I just ordered from TFD Fish. I should have them by Thursday morning. I think they will be great especially since this time cichlids wont be their to beat them up. With shipping it came out to just about 7 bucks a fish. Can't beat that.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Just got teh fish in for my daughters tank and I am a little disappointed. I ordered Badis Badis and got Dario Dario. Any suggestion son what to do. I am going to call TFD. I was really looking forward to the Badis Badis I really love those fish. The only person I found that sold them was Invertz Factory and he has not listed them since the GWAPA group buy. This really sucks.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Sorry to hear about that Prince:( Get on top of that immediately and make sure you get what you want. PERIOD!

RM

Jumbie

Members
Sorry to hear about that Prince:( Get on top of that immediately and make sure you get what you want. PERIOD!

RM

I agree with Richard, take care of it now and make sure you get what you want. Its one thing if they gave you the fish for free, but you paid money for them so there for you should receive what you paid for! Good luck dude.

DonkeyFish

Members
I am not at all an expert, but had done some research on these guys in the past. It seemed to me that a lot of times the names were confused between the two (B. badis and D. dario). Are yours juvies? Maybe you got the right fish and they just haven't colored up yet? I'm assuming you were looking for the Scarlet Badis, yes? I have a bunch of young Scarlets growing out in my kitchen (yes, kitchen. I have a problem.), keep us posted on how this goes.

Also, FWIW, Anubias Design usually has them. Might be worth asking Mark if they're not on his current stocklist since he goes through stuff pretty quick. He is where I got mine from. Cute little buggers for sure... and spunky! If anyone is looking for cichlid attitude in a tiny, colorful package these guys are a solid choice.