• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for Archocentrus spinosissimus

Carolineep

CCA Members
Hello, I am looking for a tank bred source of Archocentrus spinosissimus can anyone point me in the correct direction?
Please and Thank you
Caroline

dogofwar

CCA Members
Unfortunately those have just about disappeared from the hobby (although I know of one guy keeping and breeding them in, I think, Florida).

Similar, more colorful and available are Rainbow Cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa).

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Michael LoBello (the guy in Florida) is the only person I know of in the US that has them. He's posted several videos of their spawns on FaceBook. I don't think he's selling them yet.

Carolineep

CCA Members
Michael LoBello (the guy in Florida) is the only person I know of in the US that has them. He's posted several videos of their spawns on FaceBook. I don't think he's selling them yet.

Thank you for the reply Jon :)
I wont be ready for fish for about a month or so anyway so hopefully when my tank is ready he will be ready to sell. I googled his name and believe i found the right guy, but was unable to find contact info on him.How do i let him know i am interested in his breeding stock?
My goal is to breed them here in VA

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have only met him a few times at fish conventions around the country. I know he is a member of several of the larger FaceBook groups dedicated to keeping Central American Cichlids. Facebook may be the best way to get a hold of him.

Spine

Members
I stumbled onto some at HOTS way back in the day(90's). There were only two left in the tank and they turned out to be a pair.
I kept them in a planted tank and they spawned right away. Their fry got eaten soon after they started free swimming and one of the adults kill the other so I never got a second try at it.
I haven't seen them anywhere since then

dogofwar

CCA Members
They were fairly common (at least in the Sacramento, CA area) in 2006-2007 time frame.

I had a couple of pairs that bred regularly and sold / gave away bunches through LFS and local fish clubs. Honestly, it was a challenge getting rid of them and I got no shortage of grief from the LFS and hobbyists for trying to get anything for bags of them.

When we moved from CA to Maryland, I sold / gave away most of the fish in my fishroom, including the spinosissimus. Guess I should have kept them, as whoever got them (they were some of the last to go and I gave them away) evidently didn't continue to breed them.

They're quite peaceful fish and not resally destructive of plants. I kept them alone as they were easily bullied by other similar-sized Central American cichlids (like Cryptoheros spilrus or even rainbows). Not hard to breed (similar to rainbows).

Hopefully Mike in Florida is able to spread them around :)

Matt

Carolineep

CCA Members
I have a 75 gallon that i am setting up specifically for them, loads of plants, lots of hiding places in a quiet part of my house.
It may be a case of cart before the horse but I am smitten with them, and hopefully Michael will sell me a few.

While doing my research i have found a few cases of people getting them from petco thinking they were something else so i will keep an eye out at my lfs as well.

Thank you all for your information it is appreciated.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Caroline, In the event you decide to go with rainbows, I have several I can part with.