• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for an air pump

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm a fan of Coralife SL-65...I have one running a couple of dozen sponges and boxes.

Just picked one up for under $60 at Congressional Aquarium (with their 44% off anniversary coupon).

Matt

emartin

Members
The EcoPlus models that KensFish sell are very nice.

They don't make noise, but they vibrate like crazy and will make a loud hum and/or rattling sound if you don't secure it down. I have mine strapped down on a piece of styrofoam and it still makes some noise but it's in the garage so I don't care.

Still much quieter than an air blower...

Oh, and the EcoPlus are VERY similar to the Coralife ones that Matt mentioned, nearly identical (if they aren't the same thing just different brands). So either one will be fine.

http://kensfish.com/eccopluscommercialairpumps.html

emartin

Members
How often do you use the living room? LOL

If you do not want ANY noise, you're better off getting one of the one's jehmco sells. They're so quiet you wonder if they're even plugged in... VERY expensive though but everybody tells me the quality and reliability on them is fantastic.

Charlutz

Members
I have the coralife 65 that Matt recommends. Plenty of air, but I would not recommend it for a living area as it is on the loud side.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Hmm

It sounds like you are saying you want to have (or already have) 10-15 aquariums in your living room. Some of us are very jealous right now.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
my ecoplus is in the living room, it's a tad loud but I made a muffler for it with a small piece of poret foam scrap over the intake which helped quite a bit.

emartin

Members
my ecoplus is in the living room, it's a tad loud but I made a muffler for it with a small piece of poret foam scrap over the intake which helped quite a bit.
Great idea! I wonder if I can accomplish the same thing with old filter foam (rinsed of course). Mine isn't loud enough to hear outside the garage, but it still would be nice to have it silent...

Nathan

Members
Thank you everyone.

It sounds like you are saying you want to have (or already have) 10-15 aquariums in your living room. Some of us are very jealous right now.

Well, if it makes you feel better only 2 have water in them :)

I sent an email to jehmco and kens fish. Jehmco reccomended the DAPMH20 and I haven't heard back from ken yet. Any other suggestions?

fischfan13

Banned
Thank you everyone.

Well, if it makes you feel better only 2 have water in them :)

I sent an email to jehmco and kens fish. Jehmco reccomended the DAPMH20 and I haven't heard back from ken yet. Any other suggestions?

Listen to John from Jehmco...what he says is word.
I tried one of those Eco's from Kens and in the long run I see myself now having to go to John not only for advice but for one of his pumps...a LPH60.

emartin

Members
Listen to John from Jehmco...what he says is word.
I tried one of those Eco's from Kens and in the long run I see myself now having to go to John not only for advice but for one of his pumps...a LPH60.

Really? Can I ask why? Do you not like how loud it is or how much it vibrates, or something else?

I've actually thought of getting another one small one to use as an emergency air pump with my portable generator to supply air to all my tanks..

With those silent air pumps Jehmco sells...I can really only see myself getting one of those if I set up one huge monster tank in a living area in the house (for quiet air oxygenation supply) or if I have a setup with all my tanks in a living area and need a quiet but powerful source of air for air-based filtration.

Otherwise I personally think the only two pumps I will ever go with are the ones EcoPlus/Coralife ones (same pump really just different brand names) or an air blower.

Once I was able to securely strap down my ecoplus pump (My EcoPlus 5 would otherwise rattle uncontrollably...they have a LOT of moving parts inside) I've been very happy with it.

Otherwise I agree. If anybody needs a reliable and quiet air source in a public area, get one that jehmco sells and you'd might as well get the biggest one you can afford even if it is overkill and just bleed off the extra valve somewhere. They have great resale value :)

fischfan13

Banned
Really? Can I ask why? Do you not like how loud it is or how much it vibrates, or something else?

Nah....nothing else.:lol:
Ask people who have talked with me on my cellphone while I have been near that Eco pump.
Awfully loud and a horrible vibration.

emartin

Members
Nah....nothing else.:lol:
Ask people who have talked with me on my cellphone while I have been near that Eco pump.
Awfully loud and a horrible vibration.
LOL...

I still think they are the best value for their price and air output though.

bschuhart

Members
I use AV-50 connected to a 1" PVC loop. I have 10 foam filters, 10 box filters and 4 air stones connected and bleeding off extra air.

According to Ken's the AV-50 has been discontinued by Dolphin(Won Bros) it sold for $85.95 last fall. The same exact pump is the Surpreme Pond Master AP 40, Ken sells it for 105.95. Puts out 50l/min.

It is quiet, the bubbles from the filters are louder. It only use 40 watts, this is handy when the power goes out and I connect it to a back up battery supply.

Nathan

Members
I found a used jehmco pump cheap. It should be here some time this week. Now all I need is the plumbing and filters