• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for a good sized pair of SA for a 55 gallon

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I am looking for fish suggestions for a pair of SA to keep in a 55 gallon. The 55 currently houses 3 Badis Badis and a pair of P. Taenaitus Nigerian red that I am giving up on breeding. The male doesn't get it. I want a SA that reaches a good size 5" or more that is somewhat aggressive. But i want to keep them in a m/f pair or trio. I was thinking green terrors but I am reading conflicting information on just how large they grow. Any suggestion. The current in habitants of the 55 will be moved or given away.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Green terrors get to about 10-11" for males and a bit smaller for females.

You want to keep them as pairs (not trios) as the odd fish out will live a life pinned behind the filter intake or in a PVC pipe...

Matt

I am looking for fish suggestions for a pair of SA to keep in a 55 gallon. The 55 currently houses 3 Badis Badis and a pair of P. Taenaitus Nigerian red that I am giving up on breeding. The male doesn't get it. I want a SA that reaches a good size 5" or more that is somewhat aggressive. But i want to keep them in a m/f pair or trio. I was thinking green terrors but I am reading conflicting information on just how large they grow. Any suggestion. The current in habitants of the 55 will be moved or given away.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Back in the day I bred many a pair of green terrors in a 55g / 4 foot tank.

Some people will argue all day that it's too small for them.

I'd start with four 2-3"-ers and allow a pair to form....and return or sell the others. They'll start to breed at that size.

toddnbecka

Members
I have a couple dozen Australoheros oblongum juvies on hand. Males go about 5", females 4". A pair would be fine in a 55, or even in a 20 long for breeding. They only claim about 2' of territory when spawning.

Diogenes

Members
I have a couple dozen Australoheros oblongum juvies on hand. Males go about 5", females 4". A pair would be fine in a 55, or even in a 20 long for breeding. They only claim about 2' of territory when spawning.

if only i had another tank. i'd be all over that...

toddnbecka

Members
I also have a couple extra tanks available, a 29 and a 40 tall. Wroght iron stand for the 29, wood cabinet stand for the 40, both have hood/lights as well.

Diogenes

Members
I also have a couple extra tanks available, a 29 and a 40 tall. Wroght iron stand for the 29, wood cabinet stand for the 40, both have hood/lights as well.

haha oh don't tell me that. I am not limited by funds, or space (arguably), but by the ball and chain...