• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

local collecting trip

Thai

Members
If you guys wants to collect some natives on the va side this winter let me know, I have a shallow warm water spot in alexandria, not four mile run,that I catch anything from snakeheads to bass and occasionally the odd tropical fish like tilapia, cichlids and gouramis once

Sonny Disposition

Sounds great!

If you guys wants to collect some natives on the va side this winter let me know, I have a shallow warm water spot in alexandria, not four mile run,that I catch anything from snakeheads to bass and occasionally the odd tropical fish like tilapia, cichlids and gouramis once

Jeff721

Members

I am very interested in this. Even if I don't take anything for myself (don't want to get a fishing license for VA til January).

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Well considering the guy (Anubias) who knows where the warm water spot is isn't a member I don't think it would be right to restrict it to just members.

Thai

Members
I use a rod a reel, i suppose the best way to collect would be a long handled net or casting net, I'm fairly flexible during the week and on weekends only Sunday's work for me. Just let me know what you guys want to do

Thai

Members
Not that you can keep them but fun to catch these little guys
2341BF11-11D1-4861-841B-5035EB474982-20637-0000174627966E97.jpg

And even more fun to catch the bigger ones
D012F3FB-0A25-4D78-91C9-A7555195E4DD-20637-0000174640F10324.jpg

The water is warm even when it's freezing out, i would say in the 70s dec-feb, I've seen huge blue tilapia, gouramis, African cichlids and tons of gold fish along with the native sunfish crappie and of course not so native largemouth and smallies too

Thai

Members
Here's steam rolling off if the water on a frigid January day, you can see it's not wide, shallow, crystal clear and very wadable
IMG_0091.jpg

JasonC

Members
Could possibly do the 23rd... but after the 25th, I'll be out of town til the 2nd.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

And just to ask, what makes the water so warm at that one point? Local hot spring? Used reactor water?:rolleyes:

Thai

Members
I sell cars for a living and Decemeber is a huge month for us at lexus, I dont imagine I'll be able to break free until after the 1st...

And it's a water sanitation plant

Jeff721

Members
Yup, judging from your pics, I think I know exactly which WWTP it is. Their effluent is basically clean enough to drink - more clean than the local water it is joining with.