• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Live plant suggestions

Beeman

Members
Looking for advise for low-light, fore-ground live plants. I'm transitioning(finally) to live plants, at least and at first, in the fore-ground. So slow and low-growing is what I'm after. I tried planting grasses a week ago, but my rainbow cichlids thought them a nice snack! So I'm after something a little more sturdy, that maybe I can tie down. I already have anubias, so what else?

Chicklid

Members
I like to use small java ferns in the foreground and then once they grow a bit larger, I move them towards the back. Unfortunately, I don't know much about low-growing plants since I prefer my plants to be taller.

I'm currently using Elatine triandra, Eleocharis belem, Cryptocoryne nurii, and Blyxa japonica in my tanks. I know that some people have had success with Glosso, Marselia species and Eleocharis parvula as their foreground.

Arlene

ddavila06

Members
dwarf sags are easy enough and tough that should survive..some crypts will do great such as xwillisii, nurii, parva...

Hawkman2000

Members
My cryptocoryne lutea does very well under only 1 t8 bulb. The lutea is planted in sand and is spreading. Good fore-midground plant. Holds up to the chomping pretty well.

My Java fern is about 13 to 15 years old. Did better under dual 18, but still looks ok. My JDs would tear pieces off of it, and it would grow back pretty fast.

I would love some leapord val. Hard to find though, and don't want to pay alot for plants.

Question; do vals need alot of light?