• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lighting for a 150?

Becca

Members
We currently have 4 T8's (3 feet each so basically 2 rows), which is kind of a joke. We've got a good combo of lights on there, so floating sprite is growing fine, java fern and Anubias are making a comeback.

Since J want's discus, I realize some nice flora will probably go a loooooong way towards making them feel more comfortable in the tank.

It would be great to be able to grow some plants in the "medium" light range - crypts, dwarf lilies, onion plants, etc.

What lighting would everyone recommend?

londonloco

Members
I'm slowly switching all my tanks over to LED. Rapid LED came to GWAPA's meeting in June, they have solderless kits available for purchase. Check them out....

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
T5 HO is another, cheaper option for bright light on a super tall tank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
LEDs

I feel so clueless about LED's - would you consider them fairly idiot-proof?
If you check out the RapidLED site, you'll see that a retrofit kit for a 75 costs about $330. I didn't bother to figure out what a 150 kit would cost.

londonloco

Members
I hear ya, but after hearing Vince's talk and seeing his demonstration, I felt confident I could easily tackle one of his lighting systems, and I usually run from electrical stuff. We even got to help put together a smaller fixture. If I remember correctly, it is seriously as easy as glue the led's onto the heatsink, plug in the wires, attach the powercords, poof, you have light. The one drawback I saw was you have to figure out some way to house the lighting panel. Def go dimmable tho, which does add to the cost. I'd def suggest calling them, ask questions, see if it's something you want to tackle.

I'm tired of replacing bulbs yearly, hoping the estimates of 5-7 year lifespan on these LED's is correct.

londonloco

Members
If you truly want a planted tank, you'll have to change the bulbs yearly. Figure out how long you envision the tank being set up for, then figure how much bulb replacement will cost you. LED's def cost more day 1, but over the long haul, they save money, in bulbs and elec costs. Many in GWAPA are changing over to LED's.

There is a formula I found online for power consumption:

Wattage/1000 X your cost per kWh X 24hrs X 30 days per month

I did a excel spreadsheet on my 6 tanks at the time, I estimated it cost about 77$ a month to run them. I was actually surprised....didn't deter me from setting up another tank tho....:p

Becca,

I would send KrisW a PM on here. He is a member of CCA and uses LEDs and recently reviewed one of the Current USA LED light fixtures. Here is a link to his website where he posted a review of an LED he did. He is also the president of GWAPA.

http://www.guitarfish.org/

Thanks
Rob

This is another option
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Pent-72...lant-400x-20W-180-cm-/300925030619#vi-content

I know, I know, I should join GWAPA, but if I do that I'll really be in trouble!

I wouldn't exactly say that you would be in trouble! Just think about the new varieties of plants that you could display in your tank and the reasonable (sometimes steals) prices that you would be paying for these plants and the more common ones.

Planting a large 150 gallon tank with plants from GWAPA would be reason enough to join and come to the meetings!

I'll be seeing you soon at the GWAPA meetings, Becca ;):p;):p

Arlene

Becca

Members
I wouldn't exactly say that you would be in trouble! Just think about the new varieties of plants that you could display in your tank and the reasonable (sometimes steals) prices that you would be paying for these plants and the more common ones.

Planting a large 150 gallon tank with plants from GWAPA would be reason enough to join and come to the meetings!

I'll be seeing you soon at the GWAPA meetings, Becca ;):p;):p

Arlene

Arlene, if I join GWAPA I'm going to need more tanks (and ridiculously expensive lights) just for all of the plants I'm going to come home with. That is actually why I haven't joined GWAPA... I'm afraid I'll see something that has to have just the right light, fertilizer, CO2 diffuser, whatever, and then it will be straight down the rabbit hole!

londonloco

Members
Becca,

I would send KrisW a PM on here. He is a member of CCA and uses LEDs and recently reviewed one of the Current USA LED light fixtures. Here is a link to his website where he posted a review of an LED he did. He is also the president of GWAPA.

http://www.guitarfish.org/

Thanks
Rob

Great advice, Kris has helped me out on more than one occasion. The above review, and several pm's to him is why I have the Sat + on my two 20l's now.

Becca

Members
Kris is not sure it will penetrate as deep as we need it to, but my husband (of course) already ordered it - LOL! Guess we'll find out!

londonloco

Members
I'm assuming your talking about the Current Sat + fixture. I've been waiting for someone to test them on a deeper tank before I put them on my 75's and 125. I know I've been getting some algae on the 20gl's, but diatoms, need to figure out if the lighting is the culprit. Dr's F&S have a great deal on them going. Please let me know if you decide to take the plunge.....

Hawkman2000

Members
I really like the Current Satellite. My friend got one and his tank looks amazing, but the fact that they didn't include a timer is a deal breaker for me.

AquaStudent

Members
If the fixture your hubby ordered is the last ebay link you posted at least the spectrum is great for plants :) I always use 6500k (or as close as I can get to that) on my tanks. It's the perfect white for growing plants and not that ugly yellow color that makes a tank look soiled.

Let us know how it does.