• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lighting Africans

lt dan

Members
Let's hear some input on your favorite lighting, color temps, types....etc. What do you think makes color pop?

Sent from my C5215 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaStudent

Members
I was going to say, from the title of this thread that's kind of racist.

As for the fish I have a 6500K and a 10000K bulb above it. I like the extra blue hue. It really makes the colors pop.

lt dan

Members
I was going to say, from the title of this thread that's kind of racist.

As for the fish I have a 6500K and a 10000K bulb above it. I like the extra blue hue. It really makes the colors pop.

Lol I just thought of that, do you get enough blue without actinic?

lt dan

Members
A blue bulb is a must!!! I just got another LED light strip for my 75 gallon. Check it out. You can find cheaper but most do not have enough blue light.

http://www.bigalspets.com/satellite-freshwater-led-lighting-system-48-to-60.html

Also if you want to check out the look of a bunch of different lights you are more than welcome to come over and see the for yourself before you buy them. (can not buy from me however lol)

Yeah I was looking at the satellite or finnex series, right now I have two 24" coralife cpf's with actinic and 10,000K I want to switch to led, I love the shimmer effect of sunlight

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
Yeah I was looking at the satellite or finnex series, right now I have two 24" coralife cpf's with actinic and 10,000K I want to switch to led, I love the shimmer effect of sunlight

I currently have 3 different LED's and this one is my favorite of the ones I have. So much so that I just purchased the second one last week.

I loved my current satellite plus but after only six months its light output has been cut in half or more. It also doesn't provide the shimmer look like some of the others. This effect isn't caused by the actual led lights but by the polycarbonate lens it passes through. Most of the inexpensive led systems do not have such lenses the marineland ones do but I cannot vouch for there quality. The lesson I've leaned through experience is to save a bit longer and buy a quality light it beats buying two or more cheaper ones or buying two or more a year.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skanda

Members
I am looking for a light myself for my 75 gallon African planted tank. I currently have Aqueon double T5 fixture with a 6500K and 10000K bulbs which got burnt this earlier this week. I am thinking of either replacing them or buying a new fixture.. with a :LED lights. Can anyone state their experience with LEDs? are they far superior to T5's? Arethey durable? ON the pong tun are they more energy efficient? ANy comments would help.

Thanks

Skanda

Much more effecient and the light quality is superior as long as you get enough of it. Cfl are bright but led is crisp and clean if you get one with adjustable color settings its far cheaper and easier to fine tune it to your liking. I believe its still a newer technology atleast in terms of aquarium applications and its still being fine tuned. Imo Lots of the cheaper ones are still a bit unreliable.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lt dan

Members
Agreed, the cfl are nice and bright on my tank (110g that's 31"high) but they seem distorted, which is another reason I'm looking into led's, but would need something to penetrate that depth.