• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lighten up a Black tank

Wblaze

Members
I have black gravel with a black background in my 29g tank. Without changing the gravel, what would you do to lighten up the tank. It is sometimes hard to see the fish cause they blend with the gravel.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'd either add lighter sand (without removing substrate) or add more light.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have the same issue in one of my tanks. I found that adding large, light-colored decorations really made a difference...More than I thought they would. It's the only tank where I really like my big quartz rocks.

Dmhcichlids

Members

I have a 58g acrylic with black background and black substrate also. I added a couple big piece of texas holey rock(limestone) and a few big white shells it really brighten it up and looks great. Proper lighting is also important. I will add a picture tonight

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Presto

I have the same issue in one of my tanks. I found that adding large, light-colored decorations really made a difference...More than I thought they would. It's the only tank where I really like my big quartz rocks.

+1 Reflects and scatters light that otherwise gets absorbed by your black substrate.