• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LF Catfish Expert

I have a fish room with lots of tank, all angelfish right now and going to be right sizing them this spring in order to breed discus. I also want to try what has not been done, breeding Synodontis Angelicus.

What I am looking for is someone that can tell me what has been tried so far. I have scoured the Internet and come across little documented methods that have been ried.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I've seen a lot of Angelicus/Eupterus hybrids for sale, so it must be somehow possible, but the availability of hybrids doesn't really attest to the fecundity of either species.

I've heard of farms injecting fish with hormones to induce egg production, physically harvesting sperm from males and artificially inseminating females. Not a process most hobbyists have the ability to do, so that might not actually help, just thought I'd relay what I've 'heard.' Can't say I've seen it or heard from a credible source, so take it for what its worth.

Let us know what you set up and if you have any luck, we'd love to see the process.

I have seen those articles too, but that is not breeding, may as well harvest the eggs and do it externally.... but then that is how trout are done, but I digress. I have wonders on tank size, has anyone done this in a pond, what temps, ORP, that kind of thing. No use reinventing the wheel.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Planet Catfish would know...

Or someone who was at the Catfish Convention a couple of months ago :)

Tony is your big angelicus a male (he'd have a point dong-ish thing under him)? Mine's a female.

Matt

Andrew

Members
I don't believe it has been done in aquaria. You could be first! Couple things to consider: They probably aren't sexually mature until they are at least 6 inches SL. They're territorial so you'll need LARGE tank for them.

I have room in my fish room for maybe a 1200g above ground pond, so if it is tank size, maybe I can make that work. I have visited PC many times but again, no one has really documented what has been tried.

toddnbecka

Members
Big tank and crowd in a group (like mbuna) so that the conspecific aggression gets spread around sufficiently. They're egg scatterers, and will eat the eggs as quick as they're spawned if they can get at them. Eupterus have spawned in aquariums a few times under similar conditions (in community tanks,) so I'm thinking it's most likely the fact that few (if any) people are willing to dedicate a large enough tank and invest in a group of angelicus to try it.