• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Let's talk paint

iamzrad

Members
I'm reorganizing my fish room, errr I mean "family room" and alas painting the backs of my tanks.
I presume the go to paint is the Krylon Fushion Plastic? Has anyone ever used the light blue color of that paint before? Have any photos?
Or if there is another paint out there, suggest it please.

fischfan13

Banned
Phil, years ago there was a guy in NJ who bought a store out of 40g breeders. These tanks were then sold to a bunch of us...I have several.
This guy has some light blue paint that was made by Ford and he sprayed the backs of the tanks with this paint.
I hate the color.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm using Poret foam as the "background" of my tanks (on the inside, of course).

It's a nice blue...

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I now use canned/brushed-on paint on all my tanks. Cheaper, thicker, cleaner and better for your health. 1-2 coats does the trick as opposed to multiple spray coats with a fine layer of black dust all over the shop/garage/fish room. (You can always take the tank outside, but it's tough with giant tanks).

The lack of a headache is my favorite plus.

ddavila06

Members
cheap old spray paint works really well. the black makes it look really nice for the fish and plants in the tank

iamzrad

Members
Well I always has black/blue/ocean view background vinyls.
Just trying to find a paint that's somewhat safe for the fish, etc.

I remember that Charlie has some nice blue backgrounds and that's the color I am going after!

creepyoldguy

Members
If you want to paint the backs of your tanks black, go to lowes and get the .99 cent per can of spray paint. Its good and cheap. Comes in gloss or flat too

Hawkman2000

Members
I would not use a blade. You could scratch the glass. Seems to me the it you can get the edges peeled, the rest would just peel right of the glass.

londonloco

Members
I now use canned/brushed-on paint on all my tanks. Cheaper, thicker, cleaner and better for your health. 1-2 coats does the trick as opposed to multiple spray coats with a fine layer of black dust all over the shop/garage/fish room. (You can always take the tank outside, but it's tough with giant tanks).

The lack of a headache is my favorite plus.

+1 on this tho I do spray my smaller tanks. I am amazed when I read people who say they painted 5-6 coats, I find a good first coat with a second "touch up" coat is all that is needed, weather using spray or brush coats.

Ophelia77

Members
+1 on the rattle cans. we just sprayed a 75 gal in the house with a drop cloth (the overspray tends to dry before it touches a surface so it comes off easily with a swiffer)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Either way is fine.
When I originally built my fish room I painted all of the tanks a medium blue. I used regular house paint with a brush on the outside of the back, bottom and sides. It took two coates and looked like crap until you put the light over it and then it looked great.
On several tanks in the last few years I put black paint.
The last tank I put into the room I used a dark blue spray paint. It looks good too.
No mater what you do they will look fine and you are the only one you need to please.
Oh and it does not matter if its flat or not. When you look through the glass it all looks the same.

iamzrad

Members
I think it came out great :)
(cell phone pic)
Behr Flat "Windjammer" was the color.

1zwzva1.jpg

I went to Lowe's today and got "sample" cans of black and a dark navy blue. (sample cans are the smallest amount they'll make). I used a sponge type "brush" I did two coats of black on the bottom and when that looked OK, I started on one coat of blue on the back. We'll see how that turns out.