• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Less is more? More or less? Thoughts on "dense" aquaecapes...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Have you thought much about how "clogged" with materials some of the natural habitats we intend to imitate in our tanks are?

Pristolepis-marginata-1024x770_large_large.jpg

It's kind of interesting...I've don a littele "field work" over the years, as well as some "internet safaris", exploring some of the interesting blackwater biotope where our fishes come from, and I've frequently been surprised just how much "stuff" is in the water.

b742497c31d64bd8b89bd4b4a4f84083_large.jpg

And it made me think about our aquaecapes, and how we are always concerned (and I should say, rightfully so) about having the "appropriate" amount of "negative space"- at least from an artistic perspective.

14233215_988402317953245_3969413398407566969_n_large.jpg

However, when you take into account the materials that accumulate in smaller streams, igarapes, and swamps, a surprisingly large amount of botanical materials, ranging from tree branches/trunks to leaves and such, accumulates and takes up space. (click to read more)