• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Leighn's African Cichlids FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buya

CCA Members
For those of you who bought from Leighn in the past day or two, which includes myself, You should be on the watch for contagious parasites that cause sunken stomach and can infect your entire tank.

First off, I'll admit I'm relatively new to this hobby and recently just got a 150 gallon tank. Some of you may have seen my posts inquiring of Haps for sale. I responded to Leign's post and picked up a few fish. A few factual observations as I've been questioned by Leign on my credentials and expertise to be able to diagnose. I am not an expert and am relatively new to the hobby.

- Leign posted on 5/23 to sell off his entire cichlid fish in his 300 gallon tank
- There, I noticed several fish with fairly apparent small stomachs and being thin. We even talked about a few that looked in really bad shape. Didn't think a whole lot about it as he turned much of attention to his Venustus and VC-10 that looked badly beaten up fighting another, so I thought to myself, maybe just aggression.
- Leighn appeared to be a fairly advanced in the hobby with a 300 gallon full of fish, another saltwater tank, and a sump which he was talking about costing like $1,500
- I end up picking up 5 medium/large fish (Pheno, white knight (said he got from Reed), and three others I don't know the name) for $100 and placing them in my new tank. The Pheno stomach was very noticeable, but as I looked at the others more closely, it appeared at least two two others had less severe, but also small stomachs.
- Did some research online to see if this could be a more major issue other than just not eating because of aggression and found that a common issue is contagious parasites that cause sunken stomach

Anyways, I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure there is a parasite issue. Leign adamantly denies he suspected, knew or noticed an issue and was absolutely not a reason why he was selling off all of his fish. For those who bought, recall for yourselves if you saw skinny stomach fish and just be aware that there may be a good chance there was a parasite issue that is contagious. I really hope I'm wrong as these fish are beautiful and I would be really depressed if it infects all my other new fish I recently got.

CJ.

Members
You are right, Brian. All the fish I got from him appeared to have sunken belly. I used Para Guard this morning. I also did some research online and internal parasites would be my best guess at this point. I have ordered some medications this morning (Garlic Guard and Metroplex). Hope that brings some improvement.
Anyone has better thought on this?

Buya

CCA Members
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought this. Leighn told me today that I'm the only one who thought this way and others have been texting him to thank him and that their fish are all doing great.

Jun, I don't know about you, but Im fairly new to the hobby and noticed something not looking right, and you also notice afterwards as well, Hard to believe this guy, which looks like an well experienced in the hobby with fresh and saltwater tanks and $1000+ sumps, etc., would have failed to notice.

Money lost on these fish aside, it is agonizing worrying about these and my other fish getting infected and to go through the process.

As for treatment, I've read similar treatment using Garlic Guard and Metroplex, so will try that as well. Hope you didnt have other fish.

Good luck to you and if anybody who has any thoughts/advice, please chime in.

rpitonyak

Members
That sucks. I hope they all pull through. I also agree with quarantining new fish. I have been burned in the past by local fish stores and ich enough times to learn to quarantine all fish for 7-10 days prior to placing in my show tank. I have a qarantine tank running 24/7 just in case I get new fish or some of my existing fish get ill or picked on.

Buya

CCA Members
Just set up a quarantine tank. Rookie mistake. How deadly is sunken stomach?

Here are how they look now.

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

leighn

Members
Anybody that has ever met me or done any kind of business with me knows my character and knows I would never purposely sell anybody infected fish. As I have already explained to Brian I'm no expert by any means never calmed to be but clearly he is upset and wont stop till he drags my name threw the mud. So have fun. For the eighth time Brain and CJ if the fish YOU PICKED OUT not just handed to you are indeed infected I publicly apologizes to you. Those fish have been eating and acting normally for at least a year with no problems. I was neglecting them and not keeping up with my feeding schedules as I should which is why I decided to get rid of them no other reason. As we all know Cichlids are a sensitive fish but always did my weekly water changes with the extra mile of using seachem products prime, Stress coat, and Parachem. Hopefully after a short time with your loving care and feeding they will fatting up to your liking. Admin please remove my post for selling the fish so we will not have this problem anymore. Thank you

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Gents-- Concerns have been expressed and the seller has responded. Thread locked.

Blaise

Status
Not open for further replies.