• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LEAKING 150 g tall.....

tremper

Members
so i come home from a biz trip, notice my 150 g is only half full, mop up the water, start looking at the pump systems thinking that is the culprit, and notice that water is dripping from the base of the stand underneath the tank itself.

Tank has sat there for YEARS, happy as a clam, at least not leaking, and suddently this.

Any ideas, simple fatique and age? Seriously, it hasn't moved or leaked in 6 years.

Any repar idea would be appreciated. How in the world do you find the leak?

I'm off to Lowes fopr a large garbage can to put the fish into...... hopefully there will be a few comments upon my return in an hour.....

TIA

Joe

tremper

Members
Upon further review, its leaking from the bottom. I forgot the tank sat dry for a few months. I refilled it and 6 weeks later it started leaking..... Now I need advice on resealing the bottom of a 150 g Tall.

Remove all of the original silicone or just the "leaky" areas.....?

Who needs this cr*@ tonight.....

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Joe I would remove all the silicone from the bottom. Nothing sticks to silicone not even more silicone . so remove all with razor blade wipe area with denatured alcohol and use
GE #1 clear silicone from home depot or lowes.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Ain't no thing

Just cut out the old silicone flush along both sides where the glass meets with a razor blade(s), dry the seams thoroughly with a hair dryer, wipe it down like he said, lay down a good bead of new, and smooth it into the crease with your finger or a teaspoon always moving in the same direction. You might want to open a window and/or plug in a fan - the vapors inside a big tank like that get pretty powerful.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That really sucks, Joe. Sorry. Hopefully, it wasn't in a finished area.

Personally, I'm a proponent of stripping all the interior silicone in the tank. But having done it before on my 6' 150, it's a lot of work....

tremper

Members
Thanks guy, I appreciate the advice and sympathies. I needed this like I need another hole in my head. Of course it was in a finished area. "Show Tank" in the living room. Perfect.... :rolleyes: