• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Large Malawi Mbuna and A. Siquia FS

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have several large mbuna I am looking to find a new home for. All are healthy males and eating well, I'm just trying to prevent overcrowding. I don't have any photos, but can send a representative to anyone interested.

5.5" Labeotropheus Trewavassee Red-Top $10
5" Pseudotropheus Crabro Bumblebee $8
4" Pseudotropheus Zebra Black-Bar Blue Zebra $7
3" Melanochromis Exasperatus $5

I have a proven breeding pair of wild-caught Cryptopheros (Amatitlania) Siquia from Ken Davis available for $10. I am offering juveniles at 4/$1.

Local pickup is available in Gaithersburg, or I can bring them to the April 11th meeting. Any unpurchased individuals will probably be entered in the auction.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Which kind of siquia? Rio Claro or Rio Cholteca? Or another?

Probably F1 unless Ken is selling his breeders...

Last edited:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Which kind of siquia? Rio Claro or Rio Cholteca? Or another?

Probably F1 unless Ken is selling his breeders...

I honestly do not know. I missed a lot of Ken's talk. I won a group at the auction, after the meeting he spoke at last August or September. I assumed they were WC since his talk was on collecting, but they could have been F1. I don't think the bag had any specific information. They are nice specimens, but I don't want to give you any wrong information.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Are they black and grey striped (Coluteca) or more of a silvery with blue lips (Claro)...or are the females really red (Nicaragua)?

They're most likely F1 - great fish...I'll help you nail down the location :)

Matt

I honestly do not know. I missed a lot of Ken's talk. I won a group at the auction, after the meeting he spoke at last August or September. I assumed they were WC since his talk was on collecting, but they could have been F1. I don't think the bag had any specific information. They are nice specimens, but I don't want to give you any wrong information.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I will have to look at the A. siquia when i get home tonight to give a better description. I can't remember well enough to give an accurate description. I appreciate the help. I'd like to know, and also pass on as much information as possible to whomever purchases them. Thanks, I'll post a better description tonight.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I tried to get a good look at my adults last night. The juveniles have about 7 dark stripes, but the stripes have almost completely disappeared on my adults. They have a grayish blue body and translucent red fins. I guess the lips could be considered blue, but they were running around and their color flushed when I tried to get pictures. I don't think I got any worth posting, but I'll look through the pics later and post any if something can be salvaged.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Are you going to be at the April meeting? I will probably bring the fish and was wondering if you could look at them to see if you could get a better look. It would be appreciated. I want to give as much information on the fish without providing misleading information.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Planning on going...but sometimes "competing priorities" occur :blush:

Here's a picture that Bobby took of A. siquia "Rio Claro" a few months ago...

Matt

Are you going to be at the April meeting? I will probably bring the fish and was wondering if you could look at them to see if you could get a better look. It would be appreciated. I want to give as much information on the fish without providing misleading information.

6aFish01062208.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks. I'll contact you next week to touch base about the meeting. If you make it great, if not, I understand. I was "googling" Ken Davis and A. siquia and it seems very likely they are Rio Claro. He described them as being "silvery-blue with red fins" and I found the following picture on his aquabid auction site (I hope he doesn't mind me "Borrowing" it). Your posted pic looks like mine as well, but his color is washed out, so its hard to be confident. Anyways, I'll keep researching, but I appreciate the assistance. Just an FYI, Ken is selling his 1.5" F1 juveniles at $5 each. Who wants mine for a fraction of the price?

davis'siquia.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - that's them. I'd bet that they're "Rio Claro" siquia

Great fish and quite different than the "convicts" that you find at the fish store.

Is the male of your pair quite a bit larger than the female?

Thanks. I'll contact you next week to touch base about the meeting. If you make it great, if not, I understand. I was "googling" Ken Davis and A. siquia and it seems very likely they are Rio Claro. He described them as being "silvery-blue with red fins" and I found the following picture on his aquabid auction site (I hope he doesn't mind me "Borrowing" it). Your posted pic looks like mine as well, but his color is washed out, so its hard to be confident. Anyways, I'll keep researching, but I appreciate the assistance. Just an FYI, Ken is selling his 1.5" F1 juveniles at $5 each. Who wants mine for a fraction of the price?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, I'd say the male is about 3-3.5" and the female is about 2". They're probably about 9 months old and have laid 3 clutches in the past several months.