• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lake Malawi Questions

Sprattster07

Members
My boyfriend and I have decided to go with Lake Malawi Cichlids in our 55g aquarium. We would like to have a community tank with a few different types of cichlids, but would still like to breed. How many species are safe in one tank for breeding?

As we live in small town Iowa we are having problems finding more uncommon (not labs) in stores around us. We will have to buy online but want to know about reliable sites that allow you to pick male/female?

One last thing, we have picked a couple we like, but are there any ideas you may have?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
For a 55, you could probably do 3-4 different species of mbuna comfortable. Stick with small, less aggressive species. Besides yellow labs, some favorites of mine that are relatively non-hateful include: Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties), Cynotilapia afra and Pseudotropheus saulosi.

Sprattster07

Members
So we decided to go with the Cynotilapia afra, Melanochromis simulans, Iodotropheus sprengerae, and Pseudotrpheus saulosi. How many do recommend we buy knowing we will probably have to order fry?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
At least 6 of each to guarantee you get some of each sex, 10 of each would give you better success with a good ratio. Its much easier to start with a large group than to try and add to it later.

Just be careful to make sure your tank is adequately cycled if you're going to throw a lot of new fish in at once.

Sprattster07

Members
Thanks! We can't seem to find the Melanochromis simulans anywhere... Does anyone have a suggestion for a fourth species that isn't a lab, that will work well with our previously mentioned species. Thanks ahead of time.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks! We can't seem to find the Melanochromis simulans anywhere... Does anyone have a suggestion for a fourth species that isn't a lab, that will work well with our previously mentioned species. Thanks ahead of time.

I've never seen those for sale before. Melanochromis are considered by most who have kept Malawi cichlids, to be the most aggressive genus out there. I've never seen this one, but from the pictures I've found on the internet, they seem similar to M. chipokae or M. auratus - both extreme bruisers.

If you're looking for a Melanochromis to go in that setup, I'd recommend M. maingano. They do not do the color flip, but are beautiful fish still and are not nearly as aggressive as the rest of the genus. They are also relatively common so should be easy to find from a breeder or local club.

Good luck.

fishman13

Members
My boyfriend and I have decided to go with Lake Malawi Cichlids in our 55g aquarium. We would like to have a community tank with a few different types of cichlids, but would still like to breed. How many species are safe in one tank for breeding?

As we live in small town Iowa we are having problems finding more uncommon (not labs) in stores around us. We will have to buy online but want to know about reliable sites that allow you to pick male/female?

One last thing, we have picked a couple we like, but are there any ideas you may have?

You can trust the people here at cca. For buying and info on fish stuff.

Since you're in Iowa, can you find a local cichlid or general fish club that can help you with stocking? The problem of you buying more than you need or running into an aggression problem is that you may not have ready rehoming options unless you make some local contacts. Just a thought.

69cichlids

Members
There is quad city fish keepers, and another around des moine area that I know of.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Leffler817

CCA Members
Have you tried Midwest Cichlid Association? Are you on the Nebraska side of Iowa? I hear Fish Freaks is a nice store.