• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

KRIBENSIS SPAWN ALREADY!!!

zackcrack00

Members
I just went to feed my 29gal, and my Kribs had disappeared. I looked in the urn, and they were, guarding some eggs!!! I saw a few that were in the open light, and they were white! I cannot believe this has already happened after picking the pair Jesse and Christine, I brought them home on Sunday! Are fertile eggs a certain color? The few I saw were white. I will take pictures later, I am making a stop at my LFS for a Val or two.

verbal

CCA Members
Congrats on the spawn.

You should get fry, but sometimes pairs take a couple tries to get it right.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Congrats! Keep an eye on the parents if you get free swimmers. Sometimes the parents will fight over fry and it can get ugly.

ErnieG

Members
Bring on the pics bro im excited for you, i stop being lazy and took the pair of kribs out my 55gallon and put them in the planted 20 gallon.

zackcrack00

Members
Yes, that is probably why they were not hungry!!! And I will try to post some pics tomorrow! I am going to check on them now!!! Are white eggs fertilized?

rsretep

Members
In my experience white eggs are not fertilized but something in the tan range is usually good...Congrats on the spawn, I have been keeping kribs for awhile with only one spawn, my group is one male and four female

zackcrack00

Members
Thanks! I am sad to here that the white are infertile, but they will be at it again soon! The eggs are still fine.

zackcrack00

Members
I just looked in the urn with a high-powered flashlight, and ALL of the dozens of eggs are fertile! They are the tan-brown color! This is going perfect for me! Unwillingly pics this evening, and save some to enter in POtM! I don't know much about BAP, so I will read up on it! I am soooo exited! Thank you for the encouragement everyone!

zackcrack00

Members
I woke up this morning and the female krib was taking up her eggs and spitting them back out. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? What should I do? I know that they will hatch on the ground l, but now I am worried about them! Thanks in advance,guys!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never bred kribs, but most new worlds will pick up their eggs and move them to a pit when they start to hatch. The parents will suck the fry into their mouth and spit them back where they want them to be. This sounds like what is going on to me.

It is a defense mechanism so the parent can better guard their brood. Nothing to worry about except the other fish in the tank and the beating they may take from your new parents!

zackcrack00

Members
I just looked in the urn and there were no eggs... BUUTT... All of the eggs have little tails and are in crevice in my large peice of driftwood!!! Will hatch by tomorrow morning! To quote Alexandra: "Aaahhhh sooo happy!"

chriscoli

Administrator
One of my favorite things with my Kribs is watching them raise their young. They tend to be very good parents, and if you sit quietly and don't disturb them you can watch the parents signal to the babies about when to hide, where to feed, etc.