• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Kribensis Questions

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
So, I just got 3 kribs from a military family that is moving across country. Along with them I got a bunch of tropical community fish. They were keeping the kribs in a 55 gallon with pristella tetras, danios, neons, cherry barb, and a group of 7 tiger barbs.

I was told all 3 of the kribs were female and the largest one had killed every male they tried to keep. Once I got them home on Monday, they went into a tank all to themselves. Until today, they have pretty much stayed hidden. Now that they are coming out more I was able to get a good look at them. The "big female" is actually a male (which would explain him killing any male they tried to add). The other two are females.

Since I have 2 females and 1 male, I'm hoping that they'll spawn. Will they do ok as a trio or do you think its more likely that they are paired and 1 of the females is a third-wheel? What is the best tank set-up to encourage spawning (ie substrate, filtration, plants, decor)?

verbal

CCA Members
I would leave them as a trio and remove the third wheel when they spawn. They were the first fish that I bred.

I had them in a 20 long with a power filter(I used a sponge to guard the intake). I think I had some Java Moss in the tank. They generally would spawn on a broken flowerpot cave. I used freeze dried bloodworms for conditioning. I think I used peat filtering, but that is not required.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I agree with the flower pots. I would give them a couple on the opposite side of the tank. Gives them a choice plus a place for the other female to hide if it comes to it.

ddavila06

Members
i have a trio, or 4 or so..when one spawns they keep everyone away but not killed anyone.. plenty of foods and a nice little broken pot and everything is ok. i keep mine with angels, tetras, plecos, and even a pair of cacatoos and they are fine =D

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
My trio is so shy, I hardly ever see them. Plus, if I get to close or even just walk in the room they hide. I'm hoping that they just need some time to settle since I just got them home on Monday. I was thinking about adding in some endler's or guppies as dithers.

I'll have to get a couple of clay flowerpots then.

verbal

CCA Members
I think some livebearers could be good dithers. The kribs should not be able to take out the adults, but the fry could be a dietary supplement.

mscichlid

Founder
You will have to consider dithers that will tolerate water parameters of the kribs if you plan to breed them. As Jesse pointed out, the fry will become snacks. In the past, I used white clouds even though they required cooler water. Krib fry are a pretty big at free-swimming stage, so pick a tetra with small mouths and those that hang at the upper strata of the tank. If the fish spawn, all the other fish will be kept at bay anyway.

illpoet

Members
i have a krib tank that has 8 kribs and 3 danyos. the haven't spawned yet but i haven't done anything to condition them. Do they pair off like convicts or angelfish before they spawn? also would water changes/bloodworms help convince them to spawn? I'm really hoping the 2 wild caughts that i have would spawn bc they are a very unusual and awesome shade of gold. does anyone know the lifespan of the average kribensis?

Last edited:

verbal

CCA Members
Yes water changes and conditioning food are the way to go to condition. They do form pairs and both guard the eggs.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
What water conditions (pH, hardness, temp) do you keep your kribs in? I have read conflicting information on different sites. My conditions are within the acceptable ranges, but are there certian ranges of pH, temp, water hardness that encourages breeding among kribs?

ddavila06

Members
mine are in a regular community tank, i don't test so i don't know but im guessing is around 7 - 6.8 mine spawn and raise the fry with no issues. i remember that when i had a lot of babies grown last year they stopped and after i gave most away the did spawn again :D