• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Knocked Out? Advice Please

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I was just sitting here watching my 180G CA/SA community tank, and there was a bit of a squabble between my 5" synspilum and one of my 4" gold sevs. The synspilum chased the sev, who darted down, directly into the bottom of the tank. Now the sev is hardly moving, with a twitch of a fin here or there. There is no movement of the gills, but the sev appears to still be alive. Is it possible that the sev is just knocked out, or does is this a fatal injury? Anything I should do in the mean time?

Thanks for your advice.

Jon

Spine

Members
Wow, I've never had that happen before. If the fish lives I'd say separate them.
I hope he makes it.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The sev did not survive. Shortly after making the first post, she started just floating around the tank, with only a twitch of a fin here or there. She floated by my HRP's nest (with eggs from three days ago) and the parents went after her. No reaction from the sev, so I pulled her out of the tank.

She was 5" from mouth to tail. What a shame. I have never seen anything like it. Just a quick dash to get out of the way of the synspilum, and she killed herself crashing into the bottom of the tank. And I saw the whole thing.

This sucks.

Well, sorry about your loss. But, Could you imagine coming home and then seeing the dead fish then trying to figure out what is wrong with your water and why she died. This way you know how the death happened as sad as it is.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
That is the silver lining in this deal. It definitely would have been worse if I didn't know what happened. Thanks guys.