• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Kind of DIY LEDs

captmicha

Members
I'm playing around with different DIY LED options and these aren't really DIY, but you can get them a few bucks cheaper if you buy the ones that you have to supply and wire a grounded plug onto and I just put them on cheap clamps.

Cheaper if you already have these parts.

You want "daylight"/"cool white" "flood LEDs".

I got mine from eBay. They're a bit more $ on Amazon. I haven't figured out Alibaba yet.

The lights have a bracket and I put it through the hole in the clamp with a nut, bolt and washers.

I use a 10w (about 1200 lm) one over my 10 gallon tank (cost $3) and 20w (about 2400 lm) over my 20 gallon up to 55 gallons (about $5 each, I bought a pack of 5).

I don't know how many lumens per inch of depth, I'm guessing. And they don't list PAR of course. You might be about to find a lumens per depth chart.

Down side is that it's kind of a narrow beam and so you need multiple lights on long tanks. Up to two to three.

The pic isn't representative of plant growth, I just set it up a couple of days ago.

The DIY King has a video of plant growth with these types of lights.

15ED662C-6911-4BC9-B203-B9E11056CB02.jpeg

C0AB96C2-90E1-4168-B029-0FD00F4A66D5.jpeg