• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

keepign turtles with cichlids?

kraiz

Members
Hey guys!

I love turtles, that's all i used to keep before i got fish. I know they have claws and jaws, but can they be kept with fish? it'd be cool to have a snapping turtle or other slow moving bottom dwelling turtle with my fish.

Thanks,

:jumpy: <--- LOL WTF.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Are you serious?

If so, I think a snapping turtle in your tank would make a great tank mate for your cichlids.

kraiz

Members
Are you serious?

If so, I think a snapping turtle in your tank would make a great tank mate for your cichlids.

i know the common sense answer, was waitign for somone to tell me they have and its no biggie.

lonlangione

Members
Water turtle's are one of the dirtiest animals to keep. They also need a place to get out of the water as well as a good light that they can bask in. Most water turtle will eat fish.

It is obvious to me that you are a newbie to fish and also I believe you may still be in school. The mix of fish in your tank is a little out of wack. I never recommend mixing Central and South American cichlids with african cichlids. Do you own any books on Cichlids? If not it would be good for you to read The Cichlid Aquarium by Paul Loiselle. You can find them on amazon.com used for around $15.00.

Lonny

kraiz

Members
Water turtle's are one of the dirtiest animals to keep. They also need a place to get out of the water as well as a good light that they can bask in. Most water turtle will eat fish.

It is obvious to me that you are a newbie to fish and also I believe you may still be in school. The mix of fish in your tank is a little out of wack. I never recommend mixing Central and South American cichlids with african cichlids. Do you own any books on Cichlids? If not it would be good for you to read The Cichlid Aquarium by Paul Loiselle. You can find them on amazon.com used for around $15.00.

Lonny

i plan on gettign rid of all of them except the tiger barbs and jack dempsey breading pair when they get big.

davidhusker

Members
I used to keep a softshell turtle with my mbuna. I had a rock for him to lay out on (rest on). They have a small mouth and you can limit growth based on tank size. Here is what mine looked like.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/turtles/images/SpinySoftshellTurtleWHTTu2_C1415.jpg

I had trouble feeding him, he lived for about 4-5 months in there, then i put him in a 400 gallon outdoor pond, and never seen him again. I believe he got out of the pond (water overflowed during rains, so easily could have) and walked to the creek which was about 20 feet away.

I saw these for sale at That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA the last time i went. Dont know how good of an idea it was, but it worked for me, I wouldnt put him in with anything but large mbuna IMO.

kraiz

Members
I used to keep a softshell turtle with my mbuna. I had a rock for him to lay out on (rest on). They have a small mouth and you can limit growth based on tank size. Here is what mine looked like.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/turtles/images/SpinySoftshellTurtleWHTTu2_C1415.jpg

I had trouble feeding him, he lived for about 4-5 months in there, then i put him in a 400 gallon outdoor pond, and never seen him again. I believe he got out of the pond (water overflowed during rains, so easily could have) and walked to the creek which was about 20 feet away.

I saw these for sale at That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA the last time i went. Dont know how good of an idea it was, but it worked for me, I wouldnt put him in with anything but large mbuna IMO.

interesting...

emartin

Members
Musk Turtles could probably work with dwarf cichlids but they need a dry surface for basking. They won't necessarily eat your fish, but it could happen. Just keep the musk turtle well fed on bloodworms (I never got my old one to accept shrimp or krill...)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have had a turtle for a long time, and although he will coexist with feeders that I throw in the tank with him, I wouldn't trust him with any fish of value unless I had a really big tank. Years ago, I had a larger tank with 6 different types of turtles and I would regularly feed them with feeders as a treat. They would go after the fish without mercy until there was nothing left except a tank full of floating scales.

I have read about people on other sites that keep turtles with their fish, but I think that it is just a problem waiting to happen. As Lonny said, turtles are really messy and if the turtle didn't eat the fish, the water quality would be a bear to keep up with to keep your fish happy. I would recommend just keeping two tanks. Both are great to keep, but you would have more success keeping them separated.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
A turtle is capable of eating prey much larger than itself. Trust me! I have a baby yellow-bellied slider that maxes out at 1.5" He ate an entire bullfrog tadpole that was 1" thick (top to bottom) and 4" long. It only took him an hour to consume the entire thing! Turtles are notorious for relentless chasing and biting prey. I only keep feeders in with my turtles. They may leave feeders alone for months and then one day they'll be gone. I am strongly against trying to keep any fish you don't want eaten with a turtle.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
The yellow bellied slider maxes out at 8" to 10"!!!

Oh, I know that. I meant that right now he is at most 1.5" He wriggles too much to get an accurate measurement,plus he bites lol. Believe me, I know how big he'll get.