• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Juvenile Oscar?

rich_one

Members
Sure... I can find these things a dime a dozen at my local Petsmart, and that is exactly what I will do, if that is how it shakes out. But I will soon be transferring my other juvie monster cichlids over to my 125 (the one's currently listed in my sig), and I thought, hmmmm... why buy an oscar from Petsmart, if you can get a bonafied healthy one from a fellow club member?

And so, here I am. Anyone have a juvie oscar your willing to part with? Like an inch to an inch and a half or so at the biggest? Only caveat is I do not want an albino one. But tiger or red, male or female will do, since it will be the lone oscar in the tank. I will need to pick him or her up next weekend.

(Yes, I have oscar in my sig, only because I knew I was about to get it... don't actually have it yet. All the other fish in my sig for the 125 I actually do have). Thanks!

-Rich

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
PROLLY BE EASIER TO HIT YA PETSMART. IM GOING BY HOUSE OF TROPICALS AND ILL CHECK FOR YA AND LET YOU KNOW WHATS THERE.

rich_one

Members
PROLLY BE EASIER TO HIT YA PETSMART. IM GOING BY HOUSE OF TROPICALS AND ILL CHECK FOR YA AND LET YOU KNOW WHATS THERE.
Yeah... there's a million of 'em, so it's not gonna be hard. Just figured I'd give my cash to a club member, if possible, instead of Petsmart, is all! :D

-Rich

rich_one

Members
I never really thought I'd get one, until I got to your house... man, that monster you got is beautiful! It was on my mind the whole way home, and here I am, toting a couple of Festaes, for crying out loud! LOL...

I haven't had an oscar in like... 22 years or something! (****... I'm gettin' old! LOL...).

bertolli

Members
danger do you mind explaining why? I've always though wild caughts to be a bit overrated. Also what are the odds he'll be able to get one the size he's looking for?
Btw rich the rainbows are loving the tank, i did lose one* though, I'll get some pics up sooner or later.
P.S. GO JETTTSSSS!!!!!

Cartel

Members
I for one have never really been a fan of oscars just because all I picture in my head are the poor little guys at petco/petsmart. The couple times I have seen wilds in person I was amazed and would have bought a couple on the spot if I had a tank for them. They just look so much better IMO

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I adore my wild oscar. I got it when it was tiny lilke you are talking about and I would not trade it for anything. Here is a picture of mine, a good example of a nice wild o

rich_one

Members
danger do you mind explaining why? I've always though wild caughts to be a bit overrated. Also what are the odds he'll be able to get one the size he's looking for?
Btw rich the rainbows are loving the tank, i did lose one* though, I'll get some pics up sooner or later.
P.S. GO JETTTSSSS!!!!!
LOL... aw, man... sorry you lost one! Glad to hear the others are doing well!

My discus are recovering nicely... hopefully, the next time you are down this way visiting the fam, you can come by and take a look. Feeling a little better about them now. Might end up culling one... but the others are definitely improving.

I'm sure I could probably get a pretty high quality wild. But the thing is, I only want one juvie... not real inclined to pay for shipping for that, when I just grab one locally, QT it for a bit, and then get it going on its way. So I'll probably just grab one right here in Waldorf.

-Rich

mab

Members
Wild caught Oscars that you catch on your own are even more awesome!!! Last trip I caught a bunch at about a half-inch.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
One other thing (which is just speculation based on observation) is that it does seem that wild oscars are less prone to the common issues alot of oscars get, HITH and lateral line erosion.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
P.S. GO JETTTSSSS!!!!!
The patterns and colors are usually different than the Astronotus Opetsmarti. And there are many types based on location. The vendors usually have small to medium sizes, I bought mine at 1".

You can difference between Rachel's, mine (Venezuela) and Rapps who gets them from different regions all the time.

Check this thread on MFK for a few differnt wilds http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360415

Mine
picture.php

A few from Rapps site
orbic3.jpg

argosc.jpg

crassip2.jpg

Last edited:

rich_one

Members
Okay, so are store bought Oscars really that bad? I am asking because apparently I am a bit less schooled about Oscars than I thought I was, obviously... in most species, I actually have leaned to a preferrence for the tank raised versions over the wilds. And as Oscars go, I am really attracted to the orange/reddish coloration, that seems more vibrant on the ones I see in the store. But clearly, I don't want to buy fish that are susceptilble to death and disease either. I had not idea I would be getting this kind of lesson in this thread! LOL... its pretty intriguing...

-Rich