• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jon Clark's Tank Tour Videos

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey all,

Back in January, the club did our tank tours presentation at the monthly meeting. Jon Clark, Frank Cowherd and Sam Labudde did a heck of a job and collectively, put together one of the best programs I have seen anywhere. I lent a helping hand by making videos of Sam and Jon's tanks for the presentations. With their permission, I will be posting them up to Youtube and onto their respective threads.

I'll be posting them up every day or so over the next week, so if you guys don't mind, please fill in the gaps with descriptions of what fish are in the tank and any other info you'd like.

Cheers.

(Clink on the Youtube button for HD video)

Jon Clark's Cichlids - Thorichys ellioti and Theraps wesseli CCA
[YT]SM_bvDHxT1U[/YT]

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks for posting these up, Tony.

The tank is a 40 breeder. Filtered by 2 AC70's and a sponge. Like Tony posted, there are 2 main groups of fish in the tank. The first is a group of 5 theraps wesseli, the longer, grey fish with the black stripe. These fish came from the auction at Rusty Wessel's house last summer during the ACA convention. I just couldn't pass on the opportunity to get some F1's from the species's namesake. I think I have 2 males and 3 females at this point. The largest is probably around 4" and in need of moving to a larger tank.

The second group is 6 thorichthys ellioti, at least that's what I think they are. I purchased them from HOT labeled as t. auratus, but I don't think that was accurate. Not sure on the gender ratio at this point.

Tony

I remember standing in Rusty's yard when those Theraps were purchased....

Tony: "Sweet! You're going to bid on those, Jon."
Jon: "That's what I'm doing."
Tony: "Are they aggressive."
Jon: "Yeah, more than likely."
Tony: "Do you have a spot for them?"
Jon: "Nah, but I'll find one."
Tony: "Are you sure you want them?"
Jon: "Dude.. they're super rare and called Theraps wesseli.... and we're at Rusty Wessel's house. I want 'em."

"SOLD!"

:p

jonclark96

Past CCA President
LOL...

That's pretty much how it went, although I think there was a break in there to get another Dark and Stormy...

Tony

Shoot Jon I would love to see a nice lengthy video of your 180.

It's coming.

In the meantime, check this out.

[YT]G-ghM0qCgaM[/YT]

Give me the rundown of fish types and I'll add it to the video details.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
This tank houses my F1 cryptoheros (amatitlania) coatepeques. There are 2 males and 4 females. The other fish in the tank are some thorichthys meeki, a cryptoheros chetulmensis male, a platinum HRP female, and some geophagus sp bahia red. There is also a mean little neet in the tank who killed at least 12 of his siblings.

The coatepeques take turns spawning on opposite sides of the tank. Fry will slowly get picked off one by one, so there are usually no survivors. The meeki and geos are really in the tank to give the pairs something to pick on instead of eachother. It really is a fun tank to watch.

As the video is titled, this is a standard 55 gallon tank, 4 foot long. It's filtered by an AC110, a cheap Aequeon power filter, and an Eheim 2217.

Enjoy! And thanks again to Tony for posting these up.

Tony

Changed title and added your description to the video. :)

Heard neets were bad, but that's just plain ridiculous.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Heard neets were bad, but that's just plain ridiculous.

I'm probably as guilty as the little guy, as I had them growing out in a 10 for too long. I put the second batch I got from Matt in the tank and he wiped them out too. I decided that if he was this mean as a grow out, imagine what he'll be like defending a spawn. Time to let him be a bachelor.