• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jewel genetics

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So I have jewels was told they were bimaculatus but there is some weird genetics going on with the fry...some look just like papa and others are really dark almost blue kind of weird I'm guessing that they are not true bimacs. sigh! ohhh well love them just the same

Papa jewel
B1C4FF25-BC2E-452E-8454-BB83C5136CA1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
baby that looks like papa
3A5114CB-DC2C-4C47-96BB-8B815E663E8E.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And dark blue baby that won't sit still for photos
30928DA1-2E26-4AF8-9449-97337008912A.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Its pretty much agreed that jewel IDs in the hobby are a mess right now. When I hosted Anton for AquaMania 2 a few months ago he confirmed that my H. guttatus were really H. lifalili "Moanda" and my H. lifalili were really H. guttatus.

I also find that jewels sell fairly well as just "jewel cichlids". Lots of folks like spunky red sparkly cichlids.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Its pretty much agreed that jewel IDs in the hobby are a mess right now. When I hosted Anton for AquaMania 2 a few months ago he confirmed that my H. guttatus were really H. lifalili "Moanda" and my H. lifalili were really H. guttatus.

I also find that jewels sell fairly well as just "jewel cichlids". Lots of folks like spunky red sparkly cichlids.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

That good to know but depressing.
I wish I could get a proper (I know it was mentioned in another post) Chris I don't care what they are. I just like proper labels.

chriscoli

Administrator
I agree. I like to know what I have, too.

Anton's pretty awesome about looking at stuff. I sent him a good pic and he got back to me on the Moandas over email.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I agree. I like to know what I have, too.

Anton's pretty awesome about looking at stuff. I sent him a good pic and he got back to me on the Moandas over email.

Is it okay if I contact him? I'm not sure I now his screen name...thank you in advance
ps how's the garden going?